- 1.1 (limit, restrict) to confine sth
tosth limitar or restringir* algo aalgo she confines her analysis to one country limita or restringe su análisis a un país he confined himself to a few words of thanks se limitó a expresar unas pocas palabras de agradecimiento drug addiction is not confined to large cities la drogadicción no afecta únicamente a las grandes ciudades the fire was confined to the basement el incendio se localizó en el sótano, el incendio solo afectó al sótanoMore example sentences1.2 (shut in, imprison) [person] confinar, recluir*; [animal] encerrar* they were confined to barracks (BrE) [Mil] estaban retenidos en el cuartel, estaban arrestados she is confined to a wheelchair está confinada a una silla de ruedas he was confined to bed for several months tuvo que guardar cama varios meses, estuvo postrado en cama durante varios meses rain confined them to the house la lluvia los obligó a permanecer en la casa
More example sentences
- Considering these will strengthen the proposal by grounding it in the dynamic of an ongoing reality; failure to do so will confine its discussion to the narrow scope of the academy.
- I must confine my writing to the inside, enclose it within a perimeter, which forms a circular line, an orbit around the text.
- It needs to be planted away from buildings and underground pipes because it develops rather fat roots which are known to lift paving and crack pools if it is confined to too small a space.
More example sentences
- The psychologist warned that it would be harmful to confine him in the punitive ‘management unit’ or among men in the Red 1 compound designed for ‘long-term behaviour management’.
- Instead of yelling at me, he threw me over his shoulder, strode down the main deck, and tossed me in the room I was confined in before.
- But I think it would be for the best that we wait until she is confined in a jail cell, it may be too hard to keep her under control in the open like this.
- The youngster, who is confined to a wheelchair, is unable to breathe or swallow unaided and the only parts unaffected are her brain, heart, eyes and ears.
- The boss has a daughter who is confined to a wheelchair by a psychosomatic illness.
- When she was diagnosed with MS at the age of 17, the Failsworth mother-of-two was confined to a wheelchair.
Browse other language resources
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Cultural fact of the day
Today is a public holiday in Peru (Día de la Independencia)