- (predicative) to be content
withsomethingestar contentoI'm quite content with my new job conalgoestoy muy contento con mi nuevo trabajonot content with raising taxes …no contentos con subir los impuestos …he's content to look after the childrenestá contento cuidando a los niñosExample sentences
- But ten days ago both sides were quite content with the result, both realising that they had come perilously close to losing.
- We have had the investment for only a month and we are quite content with it.
- Australia's politicians and their advisers seem very content with our present defence policies and prescriptions.
- to content oneself
withsomething/ -ingcontentarse or conformarseyou'll have to content yourself with a little less to start with conalgo/+ infinitivepara empezar te tendrás que contentar con un poco menosExample sentences
- Don't content yourself with an adequate performance from yourself or your students.
- I contented myself with not doing a very good job on the canteen chairs.
- In the meantime, content yourself with what you imagined it would've sounded like.
- uncountable(contentment) [literary]
contento (masculine) [literary]Example sentences
- That's unfair - the more so because it was Stern's style and content of speech that made him rich in the first place.
- Angelina's family background informed the style and content of her literary works.
- Yet despite all that it probably was still the speech of his life - strong on content if short on style.
- 1also: contents plural(of box, bottle, book)contenidos (masculine plural)the house will be sold with its contentsla casa se venderá con todos los mueblesshe read the contents of the letterleyó la cartacontents 200 approxcontenido: aprox 200(table of) contents(in magazine)
sumario (masculine)Example sentences
- Each section begins with its own table of contents and lists chapters and subchapters of that section.
- There is certainly a detailed list of contents at the front of the book, but this is not an alphabetic index.
- The search will produce a web page containing the book's table of contents, a sample chapter, and a list of the corporate sponsors.
- 2 uncountable 2.1 (amount contained) sugar/lead contentcontenido de azúcar/plomovitamin content the silver content of the alloyla cantidad or proporción de plata que contiene la aleación2.2 (substance)Example sentences
- Besides, the fat content was too low for long-term use.
- Also, because of its low fat content, they are considered the most digestible and least likely to bring about sickness.
- Eat meals with a low fat content, and avoid coffee, chocolate, milk, alcohol, nicotine and tomatoes.
- All orders come packaged in the eponymous brown box and wrapped in parcel paper - but their contents include a dazzling array of delights.
- Firebugs who torched a double garage wrecked the contents, including a car and a freezer packed with food, it was revealed today.
- Christina had crawled off of her bed and packed a bag to take with her, its contents including enough money to return to Los Angeles.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.