Translation of contest in Spanish:
nounAmerican English: /ˈkɑnˌtɛst/ British English: /ˈkɒntɛst/
- 1.1 (competition) (Games)(in boxing) combate (masculine)Example sentences
Example sentences1.2 (struggle, battle) the fight wasn't much of a contest
- Festivals are based on contests and events such as poetry readings, sports, and other activities.
- The technical events include quiz contests, an on-the-spot hardware design contest and a hardware debugging contest.
- Over 25 events, including contests, classes and fun games, will be held.
la pelea no estuvo muy reñidait was no contestel resultado estaba cantadodo you think they're a better team? — oh, no contest [colloquial]¿te parecen un equipo mejor? — hombre, ni comparaciónExample sentences
- It is also the outcome of the calculated political manipulation of the contest for the Democratic presidential nomination.
- Watching the Conservative Party leadership contest, political neutrals are unsure whether to laugh or cry.
- Then, presidential candidates can't ignore the early political contests in New Hampshire and Iowa, or can they?
- Part B concentrates on such contests and disputes, exploring them more systematically than did the prior materials.
- I don't at this stage, and I never have thought, that it's constructive to characterise it as a conflict or a contest.
- The contest over tropes of traditional Africa and measures of authenticity in postcolonial arts and politics can be thought of in a similar manner.
transitive verbAmerican English: /kənˈtɛst/ , /ˈkɑnˌtɛst/ British English: /kənˈtɛst/
refutar(will)he contested the umpire's decision
impugnarprotestó contra la decisión del árbitroExample sentences1.2
(election)a hotly contested election
- So it contests the theory of evolution while also accommodating much of the theories?
- National threatens to dismantle workers rights to contest dismissal and also seek to reduce holiday entitlements.
- None of the allegations made by the former pupils were contested.
presentarse como candidato aunas elecciones muy reñidassix candidates were contesting the seatseis candidatos se disputaban el escañoExample sentences
- The party's general council decided following the last election they would contest the next poll as an independent party, a spokesperson said.
- Methodology was contested in the election of eight senators out of a total of 7,500 posts filled.
- After the Russian troops left Chechnya by 1997, he contested the presidential election there.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.