Translation of continue in Spanish:
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1.1 (carry on) continuar*, seguir* the meeting continued into the small hours la reunión continuó or se prolongó hasta altas horas de la nocheExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (resume) continuar*, seguir*, proseguir* [formal] 1.3 (remain) [formal] continuar*, seguir* he is going to continue at school va a continuar or seguir estudiando 1.4 (go, extend) [road/canal] continuar*, seguir* continue down the hill as far as the crossroads continúa or sigue bajando la cuesta hasta llegar al cruce we continued on our way reanudamos el camino
- This persistence continued with the boy insisting that we have sweets at his employer's stall.
- Instead, companies continue to import and process raw coffee beans in Europe.
- The job destruction is continuing as the process of corporate restructuring intensifies.
- If the weather continues to get warmer and the ice caps continue to melt, the level of the sea would rise and several of the sea ports that we know would be submerged.
- The heavy dew at this time of year reduces the need for watering but check if the weather continues to be warm and dry.
- Recruitment for the remaining forum positions is continuing.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 (keep on) continuar*, seguir* con to continue
-ing/to + infinitive/infinitivocontinuar* or seguir* + gerund/gerundioher work/health continues to improve su trabajo/salud continúa or sigue mejorando she continued speaking/working continuó or siguió hablando/trabajando 1.2 (resume) continuar*, seguir* con, proseguir* [formal] to be continued continuará continued on p 96 continúa en la pág 96 to continue -ingcontinuar* or seguir* + gerund/gerundioExample sentences
- He added that the rescue operation would continue throughout today and promised a full investigation into what happened.
- This cycle continues throughout the security operation as events dictate.
- Cleaning, maintenance and service operations will continue throughout the warm-down period.
- At the key intersection the road signs direct travelers to either continue west or turn south.
- Justin pulled onto the main road and continued into the correct direction towards the highway.
- After taking in the views, the walk continues in the same direction northwards from the summit towards a wall on top of the plateau.
Example sentences1.3 (extend, prolong) prolongar*
- Therefore, the group recommended continuing the trial due to the still uncertain balance of risks and benefits.
- My project was partially done and my boss asked me to recommend somebody to continue my project.
- If you get a keyboard error, press F1 to resume and then continue pressing the F8 key once every second.
- He politely checked the mobile with a quick glance each time, then continued without a pause.
- It's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response. Shall we continue?
- The pause continues until he determines that it is time to speak again.
- His gaze lifted, and he began walking, continuing his aimless trek around Seattle.
- When the U.S. economy begins and continues a strong recovery over a period of time, will they prosper?
- If its funding crisis continues it may well begin to lag behind others in building a profitable customer base.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
An estanco is an establishment selling tobacco, stamps, bus and subway passes and other products whose sale is restricted. Cigarettes etc are sold in bars and cafés but at higher prices. Estancos also sell stationery and sometimes newspapers.