nuncountable or countable/no numerable o numerable
- 1 [Law/Derecho] conviction (
forsth) condena (feminine)( poralgo) with that evidence they managed to secure a conviction con esas pruebas lograron que se lo/la condenara he had several previous convictions for theft tenía varias condenas previas por roboMore example sentences
- The Court of Criminal Appeal quashed the conviction for murder and substituted one of manslaughter.
- The fact that a claimant has convictions for offences of dishonesty does not mean that a jury must disbelieve him.
- At an early stage the jury were told of the appellant's previous convictions.
- 2 (certainty, strong belief) convicción (feminine) he spoke without much conviction/from deep conviction habló sin mucha convicción/con profunda convicción their claim carried little conviction su afirmación era muy poco convincente she grew up in the conviction that her father was dead [formal] creció con la convicción de que su padre estaba muertoMore example sentences
More example sentences
- This afternoon I have tried to set before you some of my most deeply held convictions and beliefs.
- There is no reason why a BBC journalist should not have political convictions.
- And yet how can I turn away from my faith in God, my political convictions, my gender?
- The boy's voice lacked much conviction but worse than that he sounded as if he were about to cry.
- Kathy said but there was a lack of conviction in her voice now and I smiled inwardly.
- If you agree with me, then stand up with conviction for what we believe in and fight for it.
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The Cortes Generales is the Spanish Parliament, consisting of two houses, the lower house or Congreso de los Diputados and the upper house or Senado. It is a legislative body, approves state budgets, and exercises other powers relating to international treaties and agreements, the autonomous regions and appointments to posts in institutions such as the Tribunal Constitucional.