Translation of cop in Spanish:
- 1 (police officer)poli (masculine or feminine) [colloquial]the cops to play cops and robbers
tira (masculine or feminine) (Mexico) [colloquial]
cana (masculine or feminine) (River Plate area) [slang]
cachaco, (-ca) (masculine, feminine) (Peru) [colloquial]
paco, (-ca) (masculine, feminine) (Chile) [colloquial]jugar a policías y ladronesExample sentences
- As of this morning, the area around the Japanese embassy is still heavily policed by regular cops and Armed Police with riot gear.
- Sam had almost killed the cops for not having patrol cars all around.
- It reminds me of how on a certain Illinois highway, the cops would park a patrol car in a visible area on the side of the road.
- For a professional footballer, any footballer for that matter, to admit that he waited over three years to pay an opponent back for standing over him and sneering, to me, shows a lack of basic cop-on.
- Basic cop-on tells us that if our teachers are paid less than our second hand car salesmen, we will ultimately be left with stupid kids driving fast cars.
- The time has come for a large dose of cop-on to be delivered.
- 2 (arrest) (British English) (dated or humorous)it's a fair coppues sí señor, me ha agarrado or (esp (Spain) ) cogido
transitive verb -pp-
- 1 (American English) (win)llevarseExample sentences
- He copped several A-level awards, including best all round student.
- New Park's players copped the other awards.
- He copped the award for the Most Outstanding Academic Performance, while Jeremiah Bishop received the Principal's Spirit Award.
- 2 (esp (British English) ) [colloquial] (receive, get)he copped a whack on the headse llevó un porrazo en la cabeza [colloquial]cop (a load of) this/him/her!¡no te lo/la pierdas! [colloquial]to cop it (British English) you'll cop it if they find outcomo se enteren, estás arreglado or te vas a llevar una buena [colloquial]
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.