Translation of cop in Spanish:
- 1 (police officer)the cops to play cops and robberscachaco, (-ca) (masculine, feminine) (Peru) [colloquial]paco, (-ca) (masculine, feminine) (Chile) [colloquial]jugar a policías y ladronesExample sentences
- As of this morning, the area around the Japanese embassy is still heavily policed by regular cops and Armed Police with riot gear.
- Sam had almost killed the cops for not having patrol cars all around.
- It reminds me of how on a certain Illinois highway, the cops would park a patrol car in a visible area on the side of the road.
- For a professional footballer, any footballer for that matter, to admit that he waited over three years to pay an opponent back for standing over him and sneering, to me, shows a lack of basic cop-on.
- Basic cop-on tells us that if our teachers are paid less than our second hand car salesmen, we will ultimately be left with stupid kids driving fast cars.
- The time has come for a large dose of cop-on to be delivered.
- 2 (arrest) (British English) [dated or hum]it's a fair coppues sí señor, me ha agarrado or (especially Spain) cogido
transitive verb -pp-
- 1.1 (American English) (win)1.2 (especially British English) [colloquial] (receive, get) See examples:he copped a whack on the headllevarsecop (a load of) this/him/her!se llevó un porrazo en la cabeza [colloquial]to cop it (British English) you'll cop it if they find out¡no te lo/la pierdas! [colloquial]1.3 (catch, seize) cop hold of this a minutecomo se enteren, estás arreglado or te vas a llevar una buena [colloquial]1.4 (steal) [colloquial]¿me tienes esto un momento?Example sentences
- He copped several A-level awards, including best all round student.
- New Park's players copped the other awards.
- He copped the award for the Most Outstanding Academic Performance, while Jeremiah Bishop received the Principal's Spirit Award.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
ESO (Educación Secundaria Obligatoria) is one of the stages of secondary education established in Spain by the