- 1 uncountable (metal)Example sentences
- In addition, fruit juices are rich in essential minerals like iron, copper, potassium, sodium, iodine and magnesium.
- Silver fillings are actually made of a combination of metals including silver, tin, copper and mercury.
- Men usually work with metals such as copper, brass, and aluminum to craft decorative plates, wall hangings, and utensils.
- 2also: coppers plural(coins) [colloquial]peniques (masculine plural)perras (feminine plural) (Spain) [colloquial]quintos (masculine plural) (Mexico) [colloquial]chauchas (feminine plural) (Chile) [colloquial]vintenes (masculine plural) (Urug) [colloquial]Example sentences
- The entrance fee was one shilling, and we had to borrow several pails to hold the coppers and other coins that were paid in.
- Amazingly, people started to put money in the box - just coppers and five pence pieces, but still more than we'd expected.
- Crystal stared miserable at her polystyrene cup, which contained only a few coppers and one ten pence piece.
- (police officer) [colloquial] → cop 1 1Example sentences
- How do you know the coppers won't know you weren't there?
- Unless perhaps you were a copper going undercover.
- Since Monday I have been counting the number of coppers, cop cars, dog handling units, malicious arrests and good-humoured stop-and-searches I've spotted in Hackney.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Opus Dei - Latin for "God's Work" - is a Catholic organization founded in Spain in 1928. The Opus became very influential in Spanish society, above all by founding schools and universities. The aim was to create an élite which would spread Christian ideals throughout society. The University of Navarre is one of its foremost institutions.