- 1 uncountable (metal)Example sentences
- In addition, fruit juices are rich in essential minerals like iron, copper, potassium, sodium, iodine and magnesium.
- Silver fillings are actually made of a combination of metals including silver, tin, copper and mercury.
- Men usually work with metals such as copper, brass, and aluminum to craft decorative plates, wall hangings, and utensils.
- 2also: coppers plural(coins) [colloquial]peniques (masculine plural)perras (feminine plural) (Spain) [colloquial]quintos (masculine plural) (Mexico) [colloquial]chauchas (feminine plural) (Chile) [colloquial]vintenes (masculine plural) (Uruguay) [colloquial]Example sentences
- The entrance fee was one shilling, and we had to borrow several pails to hold the coppers and other coins that were paid in.
- Amazingly, people started to put money in the box - just coppers and five pence pieces, but still more than we'd expected.
- Crystal stared miserable at her polystyrene cup, which contained only a few coppers and one ten pence piece.
- (police officer) [colloquial] → cop 1 1Example sentences
- How do you know the coppers won't know you weren't there?
- Unless perhaps you were a copper going undercover.
- Since Monday I have been counting the number of coppers, cop cars, dog handling units, malicious arrests and good-humoured stop-and-searches I've spotted in Hackney.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.