noun plural coronaePronunciation: /kəˈrəʊniː/
- 1 (Astronomy)Example sentences
- With the face of the Sun blocked by the Moon during a solar eclipse, the corona shines with the brightness of a full Moon.
- As the brilliant Sun is covered by the Moon, the pearly corona flashes into view, the sky darkens, and all of nature seems to come to a halt.
- Like the chromosphere, the corona can only be seen by eye during a total eclipse, although there are other technical ways to observe it between times.
- Another effect that is caused by the interaction of the sun and water droplets, is the corona.
- But the corona owes its origin to diffraction rather than refraction.
- A circle around the sun or moon that is smaller than a halo with a 22-degree radius, is probably a corona.
noun plural coronas
- (cigar)Example sentences
- Eventually all the beautiful people were puffing robustos and coronas while schmoozing, partying and sauntering among the paparazzi.
- For instance, a corona that is typically 5.5 x 42 means that the cigar measures 5.5 inches in length and 42/60ths of an inch in diameter.
- I dropped the corona and it caught on the curtain.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.