Translation of costume in Spanish:
- 1.1 uncountable (style of dress)(for parties, disguise)regional/period costumein costumetraje regional/de época(before noun) (drama/piece)costume ball costume party (American English)de épocafiesta (feminine) de disfracesExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 countable (set of clothes) (Theater) 1.3 countable (lady's suit) [dated]
- To give a feel for what it was like at the time, there will also be a display in the library of historical data and costumes of the period.
- Many joined shopkeepers in wearing period costumes, including authentic make up and seamed stockings.
- The third type of attire is the national costume.
traje (masculine) sastre or de chaquetaExample sentences1.4 countable
- The vivid memory of pundits chanting and amateur actors dressed in bright costumes performing on the open-air stage has stayed with me.
- Several actors in costume assume the roles of different characters.
- Mind you, recent history is just a new version of the old: new stage, new actors, new costumes, new masks, same old story.
also: swimming costume
- I can't possibly describe the elaborate nature of every woman's costume or outfit.
- The staff have made about 150 costumes for the occasion.
- The costumes range from ethnic outfits to more abstract modernist affairs that bring to mind Picasso's involvement with the Ballet Russe.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Opus Dei - Latin for "God's Work" - is a Catholic organization founded in Spain in 1928. The Opus became very influential in Spanish society, above all by founding schools and universities. The aim was to create an élite which would spread Christian ideals throughout society. The University of Navarre is one of its foremost institutions.