Translation of could in Spanish:
- 2 (indicating possibility) forms of if I took a taxi, I could get there on timesi tomara un taxi, podría llegar a tiempoI would help you if I couldte ayudaría si pudierawe could be a little late this eveningpuede (ser) que or tal vez lleguemos un poco tarde esta nochethat could be him nowpuede (ser) que sea élyou could have killed us all!¡podrías or podías habernos matado a todos!you could be rightpuede (ser) que tengas razónthat could be the case, but we have no evidencepodría or pudiera ser, pero no tenemos pruebaswell, I daresay I could, but I don't want to I couldn't possibly agree to thatde ninguna manera podría acceder a esoshe couldn't have got there before six because she didn't leave until quarter tono pudo or no puede haber llegado antes de las seis porque no salió hasta menos cuartoshe couldn't have got there before six even if she'd triedno podría haber llegado antes de las seis aunque lo hubiera intentadoit could have been betterpodría or podía haber estado mejorwas the soup OK? — it could have been hotter¿qué tal la sopa? — no estaba muy caliente que digamoshe couldn't have treated us more kindlyno podría or no podía habernos tratado mejorthey couldn't be happierestán contentos a más no poderI couldn't agree moreestoy completamente de acuerdoExample sentences
- There is also the possibility that it could be used to re-examine unsolved crimes.
- One possibility is that he could be sent abroad, but in practice this rarely happens.
- There will be a possibility that police could give advice to members of the public in the room.
- 3 3.1 (asking permission) could I use your bathroom?¿podría or me permitiría pasar al baño?if I could just say something here …si me permiten hacer una acotación …3.2 (in requests) could you please be quiet!¿me haces el favor de callarte?could you sign here please?¿quiere firmar aquí, por favor?3.3 (in offers) could I be of some assistance? [formal](in shop etc) ¿lo/la atienden?Example sentences
- We had a letter to say they had not received the form and could I make a request for a new one.
- Where did you find the information that you used to write it, and could you suggest a few books for me?
- I would be grateful if any readers could tell me more.
- 4 4.1 (in suggestions) forms of you could try doing it this waypodrías tratar de hacerlo de esta manerayou could at least apologize!¡al menos podrías pedir perdón!4.2 (indicating strong desire) forms of I could have killed/hugged herla hubiera matado/abrazado
la podría or podía haber matado/abrazado
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.