- 1 1.1 (in shop) mostrador (masculine); (in cafe) barra (feminine); (in bank, post office) ventanilla (feminine); (American English/inglés norteamericano) (in kitchen) encimera (feminine) (Spain/España) , cubierta (feminine) (Latin America/América Latina) , mesada (feminine) (River Plate area/Río de la Plata) perfume counter mostrador de perfumería 1.2 (in phrases/en locuciones) over the counter that drug is not available over the counter esa medicina no se puede comprar sin receta (before noun/delante del nombre) over-the-counter [Finance] extrabursátil under the counter bajo mano (before noun/delante del nombre) under-the-counter clandestino [deal] bajo manoMore example sentences
- Having eaten these we were hard pressed to ignore the shop counter as we departed.
- Some supporters are also signing petitions displayed on the counters of shops and other businesses throughout the city centre.
- While you go around various car accessories shop stalls and insurance counters, children'll have fun at painting and quiz contests.
- 2 [Games/Juegos] ficha (feminine) we still have one last bargaining counter aún nos queda una carta que jugar or una última baza
- 3 (meter) contador (masculine)More example sentences
- Some sort of centrifugal device that only triggered the counter if it was activated by the centrifugal force of the drum turning.
- All microswitches and counters were controlled by a central power source connected to a digital timer set to turn on one hour after sunset and turn off one hour before sunrise.
- The novelty of the electronic counter at the [Overbridge] traffic signal is yet to wear off, and the constables posted at the busy junction seem to be a more relaxed lot these days.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 (oppose) [deficiency/trend] contrarrestar
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1 (in debate) contraatacar*
- 1 (check)a counter
tosth to act as a counter to sth contrarrestar algo, servir* de contrapeso a algo they advance these findings as a counter to Freudian doctrine presentan estos descubrimientos como una respuesta a la teoría freudiana
- 2 [Games/Juegos] [Sport/Deporte] contraataque (masculine)