Translation of country in Spanish:
noun plural -tries
- 1 countable 1.1 (nation) 1.2 (people) to go to the country (British English) (Politics)consultar al electoradollamar or convocar (a) eleccionesExample sentences1.3 (native land) to fight for one's country
luchar por su ( or mi etc) patriaExample sentences
- Let's leave motorists alone and concentrate on the many other problems within the borough and the country as a whole.
- Incentives and discipline work together to secure a desirable outcome for the country as a whole.
- Over the past 12 months, the country as a whole has seen a series of appalling incidents involving guns.
- It is more than four times what all the European Union countries together spend on arms.
- He also wants European states to slash aid to the poor countries that refugees flee from.
- In some ways it seems like a better option for some countries to turn to democracy.
- 2 uncountable (rural area) See examples: the country they live in the country across countrya campo traviesaa campo través(before noun) (life)(people)del campo(cottage)country lanecountry parkcamino (masculine) ruralcountry roadparque (masculine) periurbanocountry towncarretera (feminine) ruralpoblación (feminine) ruralExample sentences
- Then he said they had died in a gun battle with soldiers on a country road outside the capital.
- Shoppers, workers and students we spoke to complained of the country roads outside the town.
- It is vitally important that the people here are united in this thrust to depopulate the country area.
- 3 uncountable (region) unknown/familiar countrycattle-farming countryterreno desconocido/conocidoit's good walking countryregión (feminine) ganaderaes una zona buena para el excursionismoExample sentences
- It is a wild and woolly country which drew me in and one that continues to find new ways to embrace me.
- But his true appeal lies in his own personal evocation of wild country.
- It was a wild, rugged country that used horses and carts for transport and grew wheat in their fields.
- A farming family in Herriot country is offering death with dignity for all creatures great and small.
- Once you arrive at D.H. Lawrence Country you can begin to enjoy the Lawrence countryside which he referred to as ‘The Country of my Heart’.
- This area is also famous as Macbeth Country, and the The Birnam Wood, made famous by the witches' prophesy in Shakespeare's MacBeth, is on the south bank of the River Tay.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In Spain, a geographical, social, and culturally homogeneous region, with a clear natural or administrative demarcation is called a comarca. Comarcas are normally smaller than