Translation of coup in Spanish:
noun plural coups
- 1 (successful action) to pull off a coupdar un golpe maestroExample sentences
- Two of the greatest Second World War intelligence coups were achieved by the Russians.
- A young man who scored a major coup by being elected to both local authorities having had difficulties in getting nominated.
- If the deal is successful, it would be a major coup for the galleries, putting its collection of modern art on a par with London's Tate Modern.
- 2coup (d'état) (Politics) to stage a coupdar un golpe (de estado)Example sentences
- In November he precipitated a second coup d'état.
- This was the coup d'état of his grandfather Louis XV and chancellor Maupeou against the parlements.
- The country's all-powerful military, which has seized power in three coups since 1960, sees staunch secularism as a pillar of the state.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.