- 1 (Mech)Example sentences
- The connecting rods connected directly to a crank on the rear axle.
- The crank shaft turns the piston's up and down motion into circular motion just like a crank on a jack-in-the-box does.
- One way of detecting a bent crank or a bent pedal spindle is to pedal backwards.
(hacer) arrancar con la manivelaExample sentences
- Imagine your commanders surprise when you crank up the engine and hover over the Garage!
- Otherwise, we would still be running steam engines and have to crank up our car to start it every morning.
- ‘Later,’ he replied as he watched her climb into her small black 2000 Volkswagen Beetle and cranked the engine.
- I longingly imagined the downstairs bathroom: an old woman cranking the handle of the paper towel dispenser.
- He would crank the handle at varying rates of speed.
- You can recharge the Coleman Sentinel in any household outlet, or when the power is out, just crank the handle.
- 1 (eccentric)maniático, (-ca) (masculine, feminine)
raro, (-ra) (masculine, feminine)Example sentences
- I've also been labelled the ‘eccentric crank of Eldwick’ by a party with an equally cranky name.
- Their achievement is to have overcome being labelled cranks to make a real impact on the crucial environmental debate.
- The consumption of sugar still goes up despite all the fanatical attacks from health cranks.
- 2 (American English) (bad-tempered person)Example sentences
- In fact, he became the worst crank and complainer I have ever seen even to the point of letting his temper erupt in public.
- And everybody - save for a few old lefty cranks like me - will be content.
- Maybe I'm some old crank complaining about hills and snow and how kids should take more cod liver these days.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.