Translation of deceive in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- engañar he was deceived by her story se dejó engañar por lo que le contó I thought he loved me, but I was deceived creía que me quería pero estaba engañada to deceive sb
into -ingengañar a algn para que+ subjunctive/subjuntivoshe was deceived into handing over the money la engañaron para que entregara el dinero they deceived him into believing that she was dead le hicieron creer que estaba muerta she's deceiving her husband engaña a su marido to be deceived in sb I have been deceived in you, Paul me has defraudado, Paul if I'm not deceived in her, she'll make a good leader si no me engaño or equivoco, será una buena líder to deceive oneself engañarseExample sentences
- Make a list of who told you what, and determine if anyone has something to gain by deceiving you.
- The campaign, launched by the Office of Fair Trading, aims to draw attention to unscrupulous holiday clubs that deliberately deceive consumers and pressurise them into membership.
- Whatever goodwill Tom might have toward the situation will surely evaporate should he find out that she has been deliberately deceiving him.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- appearances can deceive las apariencias engañanExample sentences
- For the first few minutes of the men's match, I thought my eyes were deceiving me - these were the fastest, most athletic soccer players I had ever seen.
- The fact that we stopped gabbling for 15 minutes says it all, and in the intervening week I've been tempted to hop in my car and drive for an hour and a half just to check that my tastebuds weren't deceiving me.
- I thought my eyes were deceiving me, as, in the far distance I spied what looked like rows of silver pods suspended against the dark hills.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
In Venezuela, pasapalo is small portions of food that are usually served with drinks at parties, bars, and social get-togethers.