Translation of defeat in Spanish:
noun/nombreu and c
- 1.1 (by opponent) derrota (feminine) after their defeat of the rebels tras derrotar a los rebeldes to suffer (a) defeat sufrir una derrota they suffered (a) defeat at the hands of the Turks fueron derrotados por los turcos to accept o admit defeat darse* por vencidoExample sentences1.2 [Politics/Política] (of motion, bill) rechazo (masculine) the motion suffered a defeat la moción fue rechazada 1.3 (of hopes, plans) fracaso (masculine)
- They have made no progress between their landslide defeat in the 1997 election and their second defeat in 2001.
- The two election defeats were put down to an inability to convince the electorate that they could be trusted with the nation's finances.
- It's not helped by an Opposition that has failed to respect its time-honoured tradition of turning on and devouring itself after successive election defeats.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 2 [hopes/plans] frustrar we were defeated in our attempt to climb Everest nuestro intento de escalar el Everest se vio frustrado it was lack of funds that defeated us fue la falta de fondos lo que nos hizo fracasar to defeat one's own ends/purpose ir* en contra de sus ( or mis etc) propios intereses that would defeat the object o purpose of the exercise eso iría en contra de lo que se pretende lograr
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Havana, Cuba has three daily newspapers. The best known is Granma(www.granma.cubaweb.cu), official newspaper of the Cuban Communist Party. Trabajadores is published by the Cuban trade union movement, and the more lively Juventud Rebelde is aimed at a younger readership.