- (British English) → defenseExample sentences
- We will match their determination with our own; we will be as resolute as they are fanatical; as strong in defence of good as they are hell-bent on doing evil.
- Were they standing firm in defence of our traditional country sports?
- My article was rather a statement not just in my own defence, but in defence of the whole tradition of the kind of fiction that I belong to.
- It is clear law that in any context in which consent of the injured party is a defence to what would otherwise be a crime or a civil wrong, the consent must be real.
- One of these standards is that an accused person must be given full opportunity to present his defence.
- In its defence the Third Party has admitted liability by the defendant but denies any obligation for contribution or indemnity.
- Their defense played a huge role in helping them reach the playoffs for the third time in Edwards' four seasons.
- The Colombia goalkeeper marshalled a defence that conceded 21 goals in 34 league games.
- Good goal keeping and a solid defence prevented Oakworth getting an equaliser.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.