Translation of defend in Spanish:
- 1 (physically)(country/territory)she knows how to defend herselfto defend something/somebodysabe defenderse
from/ againstsomething/somebodydefender algo/a alguien dealgo/alguienExample sentences
- Heavy guns were put into position on Singapore island to defend it against attack from the sea.
- Frontline, set up three years ago, works to protect and defend human rights workers in danger across the world.
- The Board was set up in 1760 to ‘protect, support and defend the interests and religious rights and customs of the Jewish community in the UK’.
- 2 (verbally) 2.1(ideal/cause/person)she was quick to defend himhe said nothing to defend himselfsalió rápidamente a defenderlo or en su defensa2.2 (Univ)no dijo nada en su defensa or para defenderse(thesis)Example sentences
- Everyone adores money, why not the doctors, I asked, in a feeble attempt to defend my colleagues and take the easy way out of a pointless argument.
- So on this occasion I write to defend you out of principle, not likemindedness.
- She seemed speechless, so Carla spoke up to defend her.
- 1 (Law)Jones was defending and Smith prosecutingactuar por la defensaJones actuaba por la defensa y Smith por la acusaciónExample sentences
- He said private lawyers would also make the trial fairer since the government is the complainant in the case, the prosecutor and at the same time expected to provide lawyers to defend the accused.
- The availability of an action by a client for breach of contract or negligence against his lawyer for the lawyer's conduct in defending or prosecuting a civil or criminal case is limited.
- Many European lawyers refused to defend the accused.
- 2 (Sport)he's better at defendingjuega mejor como defensaExample sentences
- Reigning champion Payne successfully defended his title when he beat the number one seed Jonathan Clark, to whom he had lost 3-2 on the only previous occasion the pair had met.
- A thrilling finish saw Hardy Eustace successfully defend his Champion Hurdle title, edging out Harchibald and Brave Inca on the line.
- If the champions are to defend their title successfully then there can be simply no more days like these.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to