Translation of delight in Spanish:
- 1.1 uncountable/no numerable (joy) placer (masculine), deleite (masculine) she could not conceal her delight no podía disimular el placer que sentía to take delight in sth disfrutar or gozar* con algo he takes great delight in teasing his sister disfruta or goza enormemente haciendo rabiar a su hermana, se deleita haciendo rabiar a su hermana to my delight, she won ganó, para gran alegría míaExample sentences1.2 countable/numerable (source of joy) placer (masculine) her happiness was a delight to see era un placer or una delicia verla tan feliz, daba gusto verla tan feliz
- He took great delight there to go to the bookbinders' shops and lie gaping on maps.
- He took great delight that she had already started her golf lessons.
- The place was overflowing the girls, squealing in delight, holding cameras and cheering.
- Meanwhile, the city has become a gleaming, shining pretty pearl in a box of pleasures and delights.
- All disciples of cinematic perversion know too well the delights of suffering in the face of intense pleasure.
- Bored of earthly delights, he takes his compulsion for pleasure to the nth degree.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- (make very happy) llenar de alegría; (give pleasure to) deleitar his success delighted them su éxito los llenó de alegría the clown delighted the children el payaso hizo las delicias de or deleitó a los niños music to delight the ear música que es un deleite or placer para el oído
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The Premios Goya del cine español is the Spanish equivalent of Oscars, awarded in January every year by the AACC (Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España). The winners receive a bust of the painter Goya.