Translation of deluge in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (flood) inundación (feminine) the Deluge el diluvio (universal)Example sentences1.2 (downpour) diluvio (masculine)
- But the scale of last year's flooding surpassed these previous deluges, with 45 square kilometres of land submerged.
- The recent deluge and the resulting floods have no doubt made many househunters think about what dangers they could encounter when buying a new house.
- Which is good, of course, providing the flow doesn't become a flood, and the flood a mindless deluge.
- And then the heavens opened, releasing a deluge of heavy rain that had all three of us scrambling to be the first back in the house.
- The game ended in a deluge of rain and sleet but to the credit of both teams they continued to play positive football to the end.
- Although much of the rest of Scotland was shrouded in mist and heavy rain, the deluge which dampened Aberdeen in the morning had abated long before kick off.
- 2 (of protests, questions, letters) aluvión (masculine), avalancha (feminine)Example sentences
- A deluge of email has arrived from people who read one of last week's postings and want to know three reasons why, specifically, the Russians beat us into space but not to the moon.
- These letters have triggered a deluge of complaints to the watchdog, who seems to be treating them sympathetically, although he's no soft touch.
- Villagers look like they will be losing their main bus service in just over a fortnight, despite a deluge of complaints to the bus company.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 (overwhelm) they were deluged with protests/letters recibieron un aluvión de protestas/cartas he was deluged with offers le llovieron las ofertas we were deluged with questions nos abrumaron con preguntas
- 2 (flood) inundar
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Radio broadcasting in Spain began in the 1920s. The state-run Radio Nacional de España (RNE) was established during the Civil War. There are many private radio stations and they compete fiercely. Radio personalities are paid huge salaries, out of which they employ the staff for their programs.