Translation of demand in Spanish:
- 1(person) (call for, insist on) exigir(ask) preguntarI demand a fair trialexijo un juicio imparcialthey're demanding immediate payment of the debtexigen el pago inmediato de la deudathe unions are demanding better conditionslos sindicatos reclaman mejores condicionesto demand money with menaces (Law)exigir dinero con intimidaciónwhat have I done? he demanded—¿qué he hecho yo? —preguntóto demand to +
infinitiveexigir +she demanded to know the reason infinitiveor que+ subjunctivequiso saber el porquéto demand something
exigió que se le dijera por qué
ofsomebodyexigirle algoa great deal is demanded of the students on this course aalguienen este curso se les exige mucho a los alumnosExample sentences
- The scorer walked up to him in a tea break and brusquely demanded to know his name.
- They were demanding that the erring police officials be arrested and action taken against them.
- Officials marched in with police back-up, demanding to see the staff's working permits.
- The more the government does, the more that is demanded of it.
- All of the questions were well laid out, students knew what was demanded of them and they typically had plenty of time.
- It is a long time since so little was expected of the player who, at 32, now finds that a major triumph is routinely demanded of him.
- 2 (necessitate, require) this document demands your immediate attentioneste documento requiere su atención inmediataExample sentences
- The exercise is a delicate one which demands both detailed knowledge of the original texts and insight into the bases of contemporary feminist hostility to them.
- True, it is often a blunt instrument when the requirements of justice demand sensitive application in complex human situations.
- Community groups got intensely involved, demanding a wealth of detailed information.
- 1 countable (claim) to comply with somebody's demandssatisfacer las exigencias de alguienthe union's wage demandslas reivindicaciones salariales del sindicatoby popular demanda pedido del público (Latin America)the trial made enormous demands on his healthel juicio puso a prueba su saludher work makes heavy or great demands on her timeel trabajo le absorbe gran parte del tiemposhe did not feel equal to the demands of the jobno se sentía capaz de hacer frente a las exigencias del trabajoabortion on demand
no se sentía a la altura de lo que el trabajo exigíalibre aborto (masculine)contraception on demandlibre acceso (masculine) a los anticonceptivospayable on demandpagadero a la vista(before noun) (draft/deposit/note)
a la vista
- 2 uncountable (requirement) (Business) these shoes are much in demandestos zapatos tienen gran demanda or se venden muchohe's in great demand as a magicianes un mago muy solicitado or popular(the) demand exceeds (the) supplyla demanda es superior a or supera la ofertathere is (a) great demand for teachershay una gran demanda de profesoresto create a demand for somethingcrear demanda de algo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.