Translation of demand in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 [person] (call for, insist on) exigir*; (ask) preguntar I demand a fair trial exijo un juicio imparcial they're demanding immediate payment of the debt exigen el pago inmediato de la deuda the unions are demanding better conditions los sindicatos reclaman mejores condiciones to demand money with menaces [Law/Derecho] exigir* dinero con intimidación what have I done? he demanded —¿qué he hecho yo? —preguntó to demand to +
infinitive/infinitivoexigir* + infinitive/infinitivoor que+ subjunctive/subjuntivoshe demanded to know the reason quiso saber el porqué, exigió que se le dijera por qué to demand sth ofsb exigirle* algo aalgn a great deal is demanded of the students on this course en este curso se les exige mucho a los alumnosExample sentences
- The scorer walked up to him in a tea break and brusquely demanded to know his name.
- They were demanding that the erring police officials be arrested and action taken against them.
- Officials marched in with police back-up, demanding to see the staff's working permits.
- The more the government does, the more that is demanded of it.
- All of the questions were well laid out, students knew what was demanded of them and they typically had plenty of time.
- It is a long time since so little was expected of the player who, at 32, now finds that a major triumph is routinely demanded of him.
- 2 (necessitate, require) [dedication/perseverance] exigir*, requerir* this document demands your immediate attention este documento requiere su atención inmediataExample sentences
- The exercise is a delicate one which demands both detailed knowledge of the original texts and insight into the bases of contemporary feminist hostility to them.
- True, it is often a blunt instrument when the requirements of justice demand sensitive application in complex human situations.
- Community groups got intensely involved, demanding a wealth of detailed information.
- 1 countable/numerable (claim) exigencia (feminine); (in negotiations) reivindicación (feminine), reclamo (masculine); (request) petición (feminine), pedido (masculine) (Latin America/América Latina) to comply with sb's demands satisfacer* las exigencias de algn the union's wage demands las reivindicaciones salariales del sindicato by popular demand a petición or (in Latin America also/en América Latina también) pedido del público the trial made enormous demands on his health el juicio puso a prueba su salud her work makes heavy o great demands on her time el trabajo le absorbe gran parte del tiempo she did not feel equal to the demands of the job no se sentía capaz de hacer frente a las exigencias del trabajo, no se sentía a la altura de lo que el trabajo exigía abortion on demand libre aborto (masculine) contraception on demand libre acceso (masculine) a los anticonceptivos payable on demand pagadero a la vista (before noun/delante del nombre) [draft/deposit/note] a la vista
- 2 uncountable/no numerable (requirement) [Business/Comercio] demanda (feminine) these shoes are much in demand estos zapatos tienen gran demanda or se venden mucho he's in great demand as a magician es un mago muy solicitado or popular (the) demand exceeds (the) supply la demanda es superior a or supera la oferta there is (a) great demand for teachers hay una gran demanda de profesores to create a demand for sth crear demanda de algo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The Premios Goya del cine español is the Spanish equivalent of Oscars, awarded in January every year by the AACC (Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España). The winners receive a bust of the painter Goya.