Translation of dent in Spanish:
- 1 (depression)(in wood) marca (feminine)to make a dent in somethinghacerle una abolladura a algo
abollar algo(in wood)
hacer una marca en algoExample sentences
- The guard was hit so hard that the blow left a dent on his safety helmet.
- For a second I thought the bullet had gone right through, as I felt a pain in the front and back of my head, but I soon realised the bullet had done little damage other than make a slight dent in my skull.
- Inside the bridge of the Goldoba, Ramirez clenched the rails around the helmsman's chair so hard he left dents in the metal.
- 2 (reduction) [colloquial]it's made a big dent in our savingsse ha llevado or se ha comido una buena parte de nuestros ahorros [colloquial]Example sentences
- Also looking wistfully at the three library books I must return tomorrow; I've had them for six weeks, but have scarce made a dent in them, such is my perdition.
- A signature-revocation effort by opponents made a dent in the final tally but was not enough to keep the initiative off the ballot.
- But the wage demands of players in recent years have been such that these vast sums have barely made a dent in the economic problems of English football.
abollar(wood)he hit the safe with a hammer but hardly dented it
hacer una marca engolpeó la caja fuerte con un martillo pero como si nadaExample sentences
- The body crumpled limply but inertia carried it into the side of a car with enough force to seriously dent the entire side and shove it three feet sideways into its parked neighbour.
- The passenger side window was smashed, the light clusters were smashed, and the panels on the drivers side door were dented.
- With a growl, Satyr turned on the engine and accelerated into his father's car, denting the side and scratching the doors.
afectar(pride)to dent somebody's confidence
hacer mella enhacerle perder confianza a alguienExample sentences
- The adverse publicity dented the airline's reputation and at the end of the year a loss of £25,483 was recorded.
- He insists the experience hasn't dented his enthusiasm for making another film, but he would never adapt one of his plays again.
- But that has not dented his anticipation or enthusiasm for the coming campaign.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.