intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1 (leave) 1.1 [Transport/Transporte] salir*, partir [formal] the train/plane will depart in 15 minutes el tren/avión saldrá or [formal] efectuará su salida dentro de 15 minutos 1.2 [person] [formal], partir [formal], salir* the day we departed for Venice el día que salimos para VeneciaMore example sentences
- At 12.30 pm the air ambulance flight departed for Clermont, France.
- His wife and another woman in the public gallery burst out sobbing as the verdicts were announced and as he departed for jail, they yelled insults at the police officer in the case.
- Another concert was held for the primary students next morning before the group departed for its Friday night concert at Maungaturoto.
- 2 (deviate) [formal] to depart
fromsth apartarse dealgo his version departs from the truth at several points su versión se aparta or se aleja de la verdad en varios puntosMore example sentences
- It would be difficult to offer any advice to him right now that departs from the course he has put the country on for the time being.
- This is therefore not a reason for departing from the normal course.
- Critics of humanism have for centuries declared that freethinkers once departing from religion have abandoned morality.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- [literary/literario] he departed these shores in 1932 partió de or abandonó estas tierras en 1932 [literary/literario] she departed this life o world at the age of 87 [euphemistic/eufemístico] dejó de existir a los 87 años de edad [formal]More example sentences
- For employees, it is best to depart the job on the same terms as employment began.
- George Washington, as we all know, advised strongly, as he departed his presidency, that we should avoid all entangling alliances with foreign nations.
- Uncle Al finally departs his post no later than next January 31st.
Browse other language resources
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Cultural fact of the day
The Chilean presidential palace in the capital, Santiago, is called Palacio de la Moneda.