- 2 2.1 [Government/Gobierno] ministerio (masculine), secretaría (feminine) (Mexico/México) the Department of Education el Ministerio de Educación, la Secretaría de Educación (Mexico/México) the Department of Defense el Ministerio de Defensa, la Secretaría de Defensa (Mexico/México) the Department of State, the State Department (in (United States/los Estados Unidos) ) el Departamento de Estado (norteamericano) 2.2 (American English/inglés norteamericano) [Administration/Administración] the police/fire department el cuerpo de policía/bomberos
- 3 [Education/Educación] departamento (masculine) the Latin/history department el departamento de latín/historia
- 4 (area of competence, responsibility) [colloquial/familiar] cooking is my husband's department la cocina es cosa de mi marido [colloquial/familiar], de cocinar se encarga mi marido sewing? I'm not much good in that department ¿coser? yo no soy muy buena en ese terrenoMore example sentences
More example sentences
- I think Lyn needs to take a long look in the mirror before proclaiming herself an expert in this department.
- Ponting himself is relishing the responsibility because he has had a chequered past in that department.
- And the Aussies, the world's sledging experts, reckon he is a soft touch in that department.
- In the rhythm department bassist Jeff Halsey was unflappable and clearly has much to offer.
- Political power and share in authority does affect every department and aspect of life.
- And if you think that a car with no metal chassis has to be suspect in the strength department think again.
- 5 [Administration/Administración] [Geography/Geografía] (in France etc) departamento (masculine)More example sentences
More example sentences
- He left to join the finance department of Monklands Council, and found himself drawn into trade union work.
- They came from five departments of the University of Vienna and one department of the University of Salzburg.
- This door in the terraced row led to the history department of the university, or at least the offices for the staff.
- The occupation of the north-eastern departments of France throughout the war also helped to prolong this consensus.
- Federal departments in France, Germany, China, and even the US have adopted Linux servers.
- The country is divided into six departments containing eighty-four districts.
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Mossos d'Esquadra is the name of the police force of the Catalan autonomous region. It has a wide range of responsibilities but the Guardia Civil and Policía Nacional also operate in Catalonia.