Translation of department in Spanish:
- 2 2.1 [Politics/Política] ministerio (masculine), secretaría (feminine) (Mexico/México) the Department of Education el Ministerio de Educación, la Secretaría de Educación (Mexico/México) the Department of Defense el Ministerio de Defensa, la Secretaría de Defensa (Mexico/México) the Department of State, the State Department (in US) el Departamento de Estado (norteamericano) 2.2 (American English/inglés norteamericano) [Admin] the police/fire department el cuerpo de policía/bomberos
- 3 [Sch] [Univ] departamento (masculine) the Latin/history department el departamento de latín/historia
- 4 (area of competence, responsibility) [colloquial/familiar] cooking is my husband's department la cocina es cosa de mi marido [colloquial/familiar], de cocinar se encarga mi marido sewing? I'm not much good in that department ¿coser? yo no soy muy buena en ese terrenoExample sentences
- I think Lyn needs to take a long look in the mirror before proclaiming herself an expert in this department.
- Ponting himself is relishing the responsibility because he has had a chequered past in that department.
- And the Aussies, the world's sledging experts, reckon he is a soft touch in that department.
- In the rhythm department bassist Jeff Halsey was unflappable and clearly has much to offer.
- Political power and share in authority does affect every department and aspect of life.
- And if you think that a car with no metal chassis has to be suspect in the strength department think again.
- 5 [Admin] [Geography/Geografía] (in France etc) departamento (masculine)Example sentences
- He left to join the finance department of Monklands Council, and found himself drawn into trade union work.
- They came from five departments of the University of Vienna and one department of the University of Salzburg.
- This door in the terraced row led to the history department of the university, or at least the offices for the staff.
- The occupation of the north-eastern departments of France throughout the war also helped to prolong this consensus.
- Federal departments in France, Germany, China, and even the US have adopted Linux servers.
- The country is divided into six departments containing eighty-four districts.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The language of the Basque Country and Navarre is euskera, spoken by around 750,000 people; in Spanish vasco or vascuence. It is also spelled euskara. Basque is unrelated to the Indo-European languages and its origins are unclear.