Translation of department in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (of shop, store)Example sentences1.2 (of company, organization)
- He left to join the finance department of Monklands Council, and found himself drawn into trade union work.
- They came from five departments of the University of Vienna and one department of the University of Salzburg.
- This door in the terraced row led to the history department of the university, or at least the offices for the staff.
- 2 2.1 (Politics) the Department of Educationel Ministerio de Educaciónla Secretaría de Educación (Mexico)the Department of Defenseel Ministerio de Defensala Secretaría de Defensa (Mexico)the Department of State, the State Department (in US)el Departamento de Estado (norteamericano)Example sentences2.2 (American English) (Administration)the police/fire department
el cuerpo de policía/bomberos
- The occupation of the north-eastern departments of France throughout the war also helped to prolong this consensus.
- Federal departments in France, Germany, China, and even the US have adopted Linux servers.
- The country is divided into six departments containing eighty-four districts.
- 4 (area of competence, responsibility) [colloquial]cooking is my husband's departmentla cocina es cosa de mi marido [colloquial]de cocinar se encarga mi maridosewing? I'm not much good in that department¿coser? yo no soy muy buena en ese terrenoExample sentences
- I think Lyn needs to take a long look in the mirror before proclaiming herself an expert in this department.
- Ponting himself is relishing the responsibility because he has had a chequered past in that department.
- And the Aussies, the world's sledging experts, reckon he is a soft touch in that department.
- In the rhythm department bassist Jeff Halsey was unflappable and clearly has much to offer.
- Political power and share in authority does affect every department and aspect of life.
- And if you think that a car with no metal chassis has to be suspect in the strength department think again.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.