- 1 1.1 (rely, be dependent) See examples:to depend
onsomebody/somethingthis town depends on the tourist tradedepender dealguien/algothey depend on him for their livelihoodesta ciudad depende or vive del turismodependen de él para su sustentoExample sentences1.2 (be determined by) See examples:to depend
- This meals-on-wheels and other services depend on financial support from the public.
- Small enterprises depend on community financial support to move from small to medium size.
- The media have gone from depending upon subscribers to depending upon advertisers for financial support.
onsomethinga good deal depends on what happens tomorrowdepender dealgoit all depends (on) what you mean by free willmucho depende de lo que pase mañanaare you going to the cinema tonight? — it dependstodo depende de lo que tú entiendas por libre albedrío¿vas a ir al cine esta noche? — dependeExample sentences
- It is very evident that the rigour with which merger control is enforced depends in part on the agenda of the Minister.
- The investment return depends solely on the difference between what you paid and what someone else pays you when you sell.
- This figure varies between blood banks, depending again on the testing methodologies and tests used in screening.
- 2 (count on, be sure of) See examples:to depend
ono uponsomebody/somethingyou can depend on her supportcontar conalguien/algosome people just can't be depended onpuedes contar con su apoyo or con que te apoyaráI'll be there, (you can) depend on itno se puede contar con or confiar en ciertas personasyou can't depend on him to tell the truthestaré ahí, cuenta con ello or tenlo por segurono puedes estar seguro de que va a decir la verdad
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Carnaval is the three days of festivities preceding Lent, characterized by costumes, masks, drinking, music, and dancing.