Translation of derby in Spanish:
noun plural derbies
- 1 (Horse racing)the Derby (in UK)el Derbythe Irish/Kentucky Derby
el clásico de Epsomel Derby de Irlanda/KentuckyExample sentences
- He added there was indications the winners of the English and French Derbies would run the 1.3 million race.
- By this stage, the Epsom and French Derbies have been held and the Irish Derby, which was first run in 1866, provides the perfect opportunity for the winners of both races to face off for the ultimate test.
- He won nine English Derbies, three Arc de Triomphes and 11 jockeys' championships.
- 2 (British) (Sport)a local derby(enfrentamiento de dos equipos vecinos a nivel nacional)Example sentences
- It was always going to be an uphill struggle to motivate the side even in the face of a local derby match.
- It was a big game, a local derby with over 20,000 fans here so there was a lot riding on the match.
- A few years ago, my team lost a local derby, and had a goal disallowed in the last minute.
- 3 (hat) (US)Example sentences
- The majority of the foxhunters wear black coats and top hats or derbies.
- He had black curly hair that was covered by a derby hat.
- A small derby hat adorned his balding pate, longish scraggles of grey-hairs nearly whispering along his ears and neck.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.