Translation of designate in Spanish:
transitive verbAmerican English: /ˈdɛzɪɡˌneɪt/ British English: /ˈdɛzɪɡneɪt/
- 1 (name officially) they designated me as their spokesmanme nombraron portavoz del grupothe area was designated a national parkla zona fue declarada parque nacionalExample sentences
- The engineering status will be designated to the school from September.
- We follow the general rules of zebrafish nomenclature for designating locus and allele names.
- Perhaps it might increase the awareness of the problem if we were officially to designate a day in the year in testimony to them.
- 2 (call) [formal] three points designated A, B, C on the diagramtres puntos designados por A, B, C en el diagrama
adjectiveAmerican English: /ˈdɛzɪɡnət/ , /ˈdɛzɪɡˌneɪt/ British English: /ˈdɛzɪɡnət/
- (after noun) the governor/ambassador designatequien ha sido nombrado gobernador/embajadorExample sentences
- He was appointed director designate in February, but was originally not to take over until December.
- Much has been made of the suggestion that the supposedly moderate prime minister designate intends to disband the militias.
- Our cameras now take you to the Central Polling Office to hear from the Prime Minister designate.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.