Translation of desire in Spanish:
- 1 countable/numerable (wish) deseo (masculine), anhelo (masculine) [literary/literario] his greatest o heart's desire su mayor deseo or [literary/literario] anhelo, su deseo ferviente a desire
forsth deseos (masculine plural) dealgoa desire to+ infinitive/infinitivohe expressed a desire to see his family dijo que tenía deseos de ver a su familia, dijo que deseaba ver a su familia I have no real desire to go into business no me entusiasma la idea de dedicarme a los negociosExample sentences
- Given the strong desires of those who wish to maintain the status quo, however, the plan faces an uphill battle before being adopted.
- When film stars join politics out of strong commitment or a genuine desire to do public good, their credibility is intact.
- The freedom to share yourself, that is, your passions, your fears, your secret desires, your wishes with others is one of the greatest treasures of mankind.
- 2 uncountable/no numerable (lust) deseo (masculine)Example sentences
- A strong sexual desire, it was contended, should be recognised as a sign of health and energy, both for the individual and for society.
- When panderers to sexual desire frequent a location, other appetite providers will follow.
- Fortunately, today there are lots of options for keeping a woman's sexual desire strong.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 1.1 (want) [happiness/success/approval] desear it is to be desired es de desear his conduct leaves a great deal to be desired su conducta deja mucho que desear 1.2(desired past participle of/participio pasado de)deseado to have the desired effect producir* el efecto deseado cut the wood to the desired length corte la madera a la medida deseada 1.3 (request) [formal] rogar* [formal], solicitar [formal] to desire sb to +
infinitive/infinitivorogar(le)* a algn que+ subjunctive/subjuntivo
- 2 (lust after) [person] desear
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A piñata is a hollow figure made of cardboard, or from a clay pot lined with colored paper. Filled with fruit, candy, toys, etc, and hung up at parties, people take turns to stand in front of them blindfolded and try to break them with a stick. They feature in Mexican posadas