Translation of desire in Spanish:
- 1 countable (wish) his greatest o heart's desirea desiresu mayor deseo or [literary] anhelosu deseo ferviente
forsomethinga desiredeseos (masculine plural) dealgo to+ infinitivehe expressed a desire to see his familyI have no real desire to go into businessdijo que tenía deseos de ver a su familiadijo que deseaba ver a su familiano me entusiasma la idea de dedicarme a los negociosExample sentences
- Given the strong desires of those who wish to maintain the status quo, however, the plan faces an uphill battle before being adopted.
- When film stars join politics out of strong commitment or a genuine desire to do public good, their credibility is intact.
- The freedom to share yourself, that is, your passions, your fears, your secret desires, your wishes with others is one of the greatest treasures of mankind.
- 2 uncountable (lust)Example sentences
- A strong sexual desire, it was contended, should be recognised as a sign of health and energy, both for the individual and for society.
- When panderers to sexual desire frequent a location, other appetite providers will follow.
- Fortunately, today there are lots of options for keeping a woman's sexual desire strong.
- 1 1.1 (want)(happiness/success/approval)it is to be desiredhis conduct leaves a great deal to be desiredes de desear1.2su conducta deja mucho que desearalso: desired past participleto have the desired effectdeseadocut the wood to the desired lengthproducir el efecto deseado1.3 (request) [formal] to desire somebody to +corte la madera a la medida deseada
infinitiverogar(le) a alguien que+ subjunctiveExample sentences
- And most of the times we don't know what kind of context we are really providing, no matter how strongly we desire it to be something else.
- Dates are transposed and video carefully edited to create whatever effect is desired.
- The restrictions contradict the wishes of researchers desiring public availability.
- 2 (lust after)(person)Example sentences
- This is starting to form a divide in our relationship - he still desires me sexually and is understandably hurt when I don't reciprocate.
- How could I get by so thoroughly desiring someone I could never have?
- We are very vulnerable to anyone who desires us; it's a very powerful thing to be desired by someone, even if we don't think we're interested in that person.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.