Translation of desire in Spanish:
- 1 countable (wish) his greatest o heart's desiresu mayor deseo or [literary] anheloa desire
su deseo ferviente
forsomethingdeseos (masculine plural)a desire dealgo to+ infinitivehe expressed a desire to see his familydijo que tenía deseos de ver a su familiaI have no real desire to go into business
dijo que deseaba ver a su familiano me entusiasma la idea de dedicarme a los negociosExample sentences
- Given the strong desires of those who wish to maintain the status quo, however, the plan faces an uphill battle before being adopted.
- When film stars join politics out of strong commitment or a genuine desire to do public good, their credibility is intact.
- The freedom to share yourself, that is, your passions, your fears, your secret desires, your wishes with others is one of the greatest treasures of mankind.
- 2 uncountable (lust)Example sentences
- A strong sexual desire, it was contended, should be recognised as a sign of health and energy, both for the individual and for society.
- When panderers to sexual desire frequent a location, other appetite providers will follow.
- Fortunately, today there are lots of options for keeping a woman's sexual desire strong.
- 1 1.1 (want)(happiness/success/approval)it is to be desired
deseares de desearhis conduct leaves a great deal to be desiredsu conducta deja mucho que desearExample sentences1.2
also: desired past participledeseadoto have the desired effectproducir el efecto deseadocut the wood to the desired lengthcorte la madera a la medida deseada1.3 (request) [formal] to desire somebody to +
- And most of the times we don't know what kind of context we are really providing, no matter how strongly we desire it to be something else.
- Dates are transposed and video carefully edited to create whatever effect is desired.
- The restrictions contradict the wishes of researchers desiring public availability.
infinitiverogar(le) a alguien que+ subjunctive
- 2 (lust after)(person)
- This is starting to form a divide in our relationship - he still desires me sexually and is understandably hurt when I don't reciprocate.
- How could I get by so thoroughly desiring someone I could never have?
- We are very vulnerable to anyone who desires us; it's a very powerful thing to be desired by someone, even if we don't think we're interested in that person.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.