Translation of despair in Spanish:
- desesperación (feminine) she was in despair estaba desesperada the children drive me to despair los niños me vuelven loca or me sacan de quicio to be the despair of sb he was the despair of his teachers volvía locos or sacaba de quicio a los maestrosExample sentences
- Finally, never leave the examination hall in despair, however hopeless things may seem.
- As if in pain, as if in despair, everyone felt the sadness and everyone felt fear as well.
- He says every morning he begins his work with hope, and every evening he ends in despair.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- perder* las esperanzas, desesperar don't despair no (te) desesperes, ¡ánimo!to despair
ofsth/ -ingshe despaired of ever seeing her family again perdió las esperanzas de volver a ver a su familiato despair ofsb the doctors had despaired of her los médicos habían perdido las esperanzas de salvarla honestly, I despair of you! ¡francamente, eres un caso perdido!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
In Mexican politics, a prospective party candidate for the presidency is called a tapado. Candidates traditionally emerge from within the party but their identity is not revealed until the candidate is officially declared: they remain tapados (hidden), thus arousing a great deal of speculation. Under the rule of the