Translation of despair in Spanish:
- desesperación (feminine) she was in despair estaba desesperada the children drive me to despair los niños me vuelven loca or me sacan de quicio to be the despair of sb he was the despair of his teachers volvía locos or sacaba de quicio a los maestrosExample sentences
- Finally, never leave the examination hall in despair, however hopeless things may seem.
- As if in pain, as if in despair, everyone felt the sadness and everyone felt fear as well.
- He says every morning he begins his work with hope, and every evening he ends in despair.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- perder* las esperanzas, desesperar don't despair no (te) desesperes, ¡ánimo!to despair
ofsth/ -ingshe despaired of ever seeing her family again perdió las esperanzas de volver a ver a su familiato despair ofsb the doctors had despaired of her los médicos habían perdido las esperanzas de salvarla honestly, I despair of you! ¡francamente, eres un caso perdido!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
An estanco is an establishment selling tobacco, stamps, bus and subway passes and other products whose sale is restricted. Cigarettes etc are sold in bars and cafés but at higher prices. Estancos also sell stationery and sometimes newspapers.