Translation of despair in Spanish:
- desesperación (feminine) she was in despair estaba desesperada the children drive me to despair los niños me vuelven loca or me sacan de quicio to be the despair of sb he was the despair of his teachers volvía locos or sacaba de quicio a los maestrosExample sentences
- Finally, never leave the examination hall in despair, however hopeless things may seem.
- As if in pain, as if in despair, everyone felt the sadness and everyone felt fear as well.
- He says every morning he begins his work with hope, and every evening he ends in despair.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- perder* las esperanzas, desesperar don't despair no (te) desesperes, ¡ánimo!to despair
ofsth/ -ingshe despaired of ever seeing her family again perdió las esperanzas de volver a ver a su familiato despair ofsb the doctors had despaired of her los médicos habían perdido las esperanzas de salvarla honestly, I despair of you! ¡francamente, eres un caso perdido!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The Premios Goya del cine español is the Spanish equivalent of Oscars, awarded in January every year by the AACC (Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España). The winners receive a bust of the painter Goya.