- 1 1.1 c u [Min] diamante (m); (cut) brillante (m), diamante (m) diamond cut diamond (BrE) duelo (m) de titanes (before n) diamond ring anillo (m) or sortija (f) de brillantes or diamantesMore example sentences1.2 c (precious person) joya (f), alhaja (f) he's a diamond in the rough o (BrE) a rough diamond no es muy pulido, pero tiene buenas cualidades
- Boucheron won the day, and will be auctioning an exquisite brooch of diamonds, rock crystal, topaz and emeralds, with the cash donated to the new foundation.
- Gemstones such as diamonds, opals, sapphires, and rubies are produced in Brazil.
- The country is also blessed with plenty of precious minerals such as diamonds, gold, emeralds, amethyst which are all waiting to be exploited.
- 2 (shape) rombo (m)More example sentences
- Score the inner side in a diamond pattern with the tip of a small, sharp knife and then cut into 5cm / 2inch squares.
- When trying to widen a space, square tiles should be laid in a diamond pattern and rectangular tiles should be laid in a brick or herringbone pattern.
- She looked overhead and noticed on top of the clock tower, a giant crystal, not as round or red as the one the ship, but a triangular blue diamond shape.
- 3 [Games] 3.1 (card) diamante (m) 3.2(diamonds)(suit) (+ sing or pl vb) diamantes (mpl) diamonds is o are trumps triunfan diamantesMore example sentences
More example sentences
- This is a valid tractor because four in a suit other than diamonds is the next rank above ace.
- Because of the difference in score, clubs and diamonds are called the minor suits and hearts and spades are the major suits.
- The familiar suits of hearts, diamonds, clubs and spades were introduced by French cardmakers in the late fifteenth century.
- Regardless of the suit a joker played ‘high’ will defeat any diamond.
- The six cards in each fail suit are ranked like the six lowest diamonds.
- 4 (in baseball) 4.1 (area inside bases) diamante (m), cuadro (m) 4.2 (entire field) campo (m) (de béisbol)More example sentences
More example sentences
- Baseball diamonds were bustling with activity all weekend as there were 44 registered teams competing.
- Enter ABC skate shop and the baseball diamond at Tompkin's Square.
- There's an area in front of the baseball diamonds and soccer fields for Frisbee golf.
- I agree with the idea of having each one of the four buttons on the gamepad correspond to their respective bases on the baseball diamond.
- The Mets would love to add Furcal, even though they would have to convince him to move to the right on the infield diamond and play second base.
- The playing area is delineated by two perpendicular lines that converge at the home plate, the focus point of the diamond made up of four bases - home, first, second and third.
Browse other language resources
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...