intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1.1 [cost/number/amount] disminuir*, reducirse*; [enthusiasm] disminuir*, apagarse* the currency has diminished in value la moneda ha disminuido de valor or se ha depreciado 1.2(diminishing present participle/participio presente)[amount/speed/importance] cada vez menor the law of diminishing returns [Economics/Economía] la ley de los rendimientos decrecientesMore example sentences
More example sentences
- The propensity for people enriched by capital gains to borrow and spend is gradually diminishing.
- The agrarian sector of the economy is gradually diminishing as the service sector assumes prominence.
- The itching usually diminishes gradually and eventually stops after complete wound healing.
- This lack of comprehensiveness in no way diminishes the valuable contribution made by this fine book.
- At Lynn the right of any member of the community to attend at least the more important assemblies was not diminished by the constitutional compromise of 1420.
- The wardens complained that the plan has effectively smeared them and diminished their status.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Spain had three civil wars known as the guerras carlistas (1833-39, 1860, 1872-76). When Fernando VII died in 1833, he was succeeded not by his brother the Infante Don Carlos de Borbón, but by his daughter Isabel, under the regency of her mother María Cristina. This provoked a mainly northern-Spanish revolt, with local guerrillas pitted against the forces of the central government. The Carlist Wars were also a confrontation between conservative rural Catholic Spain, especially the Basque provinces and Aragón, led by the carlistas, and the progressive liberal urban middle classes allied with the army. Carlos died in 1855, but the carlistas, representing political and religious traditionalism, supported his descendants' claims until reconciliation in 1977 with King Juan Carlos.