Translation of dire in Spanish:
adjective/adjetivo (direr /ˈdaɪrər; ˈdaɪərə(r)/, direst /ˈdaɪrəst; ˈdaɪərɪst/)
- 1 1.1 [news/fate/consequences] funesto, nefasto to be in dire straits estar* en una situación desesperada 1.2 (very bad) (British English/inglés británico) [colloquial/familiar], espantoso [colloquial/familiar], atrozExample sentences
- This coincided with his appearance in the movie, a fact that overrode the track's dire, insipid quality.
- Unfortunately, the look is garish and the build quality dire.
- The second period wasn't dire in comparison to the first, but the game was in danger of dying a death after the interval.
- 2 (ominous) [warning] serio, grave he made dire predictions about the economy hizo pronósticos más que alarmantes sobre la economíaExample sentences
- Here's to dire warnings, unsubstantiated threats and looking over our shoulders.
- The State Department has issued dire warnings with threats of tens of thousands of dollars in fines.
- There were dire warnings of an ecological disaster and world oil prices through the roof as the Iraqis set fire to the oil fields.
- 3 (desperate) [need/misery] extremoExample sentences
- He also warned the government of dire consequences if the administration tried to stop either of the batches.
- People are very reluctant to accept pay cuts, even when the company is in pretty dire straits.
- But Wisconsin is arguably in the most dire straits.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
A piñata is a hollow figure made of cardboard, or from a clay pot lined with colored paper. Filled with fruit, candy, toys, etc, and hung up at parties, people take turns to stand in front of them blindfolded and try to break them with a stick. They feature in Mexican posadas