Translation of disaster in Spanish:
- 1 countable/numerable (flood, earthquake) catástrofe (feminine), desastre (masculine); (crash, sinking) siniestro (masculine), desastre (masculine) (before noun/delante del nombre) disaster fund fondo (masculine) para los damnificados disaster relief ayuda (feminine) en caso de catástrofe or desastreExample sentences
- Hurricane Katrina will be the costliest natural disaster in U.S. history by a factor of five.
- The horrific devastation caused by this tsunami may be the worst natural disaster in recent history.
- And President Bush is offering U.S. aid and condolences to people affected by the Asian tsunami disaster.
- 2 countable/numerable 2.1 (fiasco) desastre (masculine) a catalog of disasters una serie de desastres or de calamidades 2.2 (hopeless person) [colloquial/familiar] desastre (masculine) [colloquial/familiar]Example sentences
- And it was fine for all the media celebs to go to a ball game but it was a total disaster for Kerry to do so.
- He's had a very hard time. His current situation is a total disaster.
- Maize, a relatively new crop, is looking like a total disaster, according to Mr Dempsey.
- But a series of personal disasters and financial ruin triggered a mental disorder that was to turn the father of two into a killer.
- The suite contains the computers and equipment necessary to help a small business function in the event of a company disaster.
- It was recognised as such by the Iraqi people, but the subsequent handling of events was a disaster.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The Defensor del pueblo is an ombudsman nominated by the Spanish Parliament to defend the rights of citizens against government maladministration. If he upholds a complaint he advises the administration on appropriate compensation. This post, under the same name, also exists in some Latin American countries.