Translation of dismiss in Spanish:
- 1 1.1(employee)
despedir(executive, minister)he was dismissed from his job
destituirlo despidieron del trabajohe was dismissed from service (Military)Example sentences1.2 (send away) she dismissed the class 15 minutes early
dejó salir a su clase 15 minutos antes de la horaclass dismissed!pueden retirarseExample sentences
- It also recommends that specific grounds for dismissing members be included.
- They are also angered by company moves to dismiss five oil union members.
- Shortly after the report was published, a third faculty member was summarily dismissed on grounds of three days of unapproved absence.
- Peremptory challenges allow a lawyer to dismiss a small number of potential jurors from the jury pool without giving a reason.
- Raising his arms, he gestured for the throne room doors to be opened and dismissed the court in order for everyone to attend the dinner that had been prepared in honor of the princesses.
- The Admiral had refused to listen to anything Marcus said, and eventually Marcus had been dismissed and ordered back for the tribunals.
- 2 2.1 (reject) he immediately dismissed the thoughtinmediatamente descartó or desechó la ideahe dismissed the idea as nonsensicaldesechó or descartó la idea calificándola de absurda2.2 (refuse to countenance)Example sentences
- The insidious history of this word cannot be dismissed easily.
- The mostly-bald monk merely smiled, and dismissed such words.
- She dismissed my words with a casual flick of her hand.
- 3 (Law)(charge/appeal)to dismiss a case
desestimarsobreseer una causaExample sentences
- At the Crown Court on Friday, Ali's appeal against conviction and sentence was dismissed and he was ordered to pay a further 200 in costs.
- The public order offence was dismissed and the assault charges discharged.
- Kroon dismissed the application and ordered the applicants to pay the costs.
- 4 (Sport)(opponent)
vencer (con facilidad)Example sentences
- England cruised to an innings and 27 runs victory over the Patron's XI yesterday after dismissing their opponents for a lowly 169 on the final day at the Rawalpindi Stadium.
- Yorkshire need to win this match to replace Surrey at the top of the table and they got off on the right foot by dismissing their opponents fairly cheaply after they had chosen to bat first on a good pitch.
- Leaders Beverley Town increased their lead when they inflicted a six-wicket defeat on Sessay after dismissing the home club for only 92.
- Certainly, American partisan politics are seldom addressed, and normally are only brought up in order to be dismissed.
- So, don't dismiss surfing as a sport for Hawaiians and Australians only.
- But dismissing your opponents as uneducable and unlearned by making dismissive remarks about the quality of their teachers serves no useful purpose.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.