- 1 (before noun)(providence/intervention/inspiration)it was divine justice
divinofue un castigo de Diosdivine liturgyliturgia (feminine) sagradadivine worshipoficio (masculine) religiosoExample sentences
- Evidently this was the limit imposed by divine providence upon that sort of folly.
- I wandered about in my swimming costume for a bit hoping for divine intervention.
- York City's push for back to back wins was unhinged by divine intervention.
- 2 (wonderful) these oysters are divineestas ostras son una deliciayou look simply or perfectly divine¡estás divina!Example sentences
- In the wings, the divine Edwina smiled on serenely.
- They weren't laws that came from some fair or divine place.
- Evidently, his divine brilliance is too great for mere mortals.
- [literary] (priest)(theologian) teólogo (masculine)Example sentences
- There are also many references to contemporary natural sciences and a healthy smattering of Anglican divines, including Hooker, Andrewes, and Herbert.
- Bishops, in classical Anglicanism, have often been divines themselves-thoughtful scholars as well as administrative functionaries.
- Even the 5 percent of the nation who made up the Catholic recusants succumbed to an intellectual onslaught led by Anglican divines.
- 1 (discover, guess) [literary](intentions/truth)
- The reader is not supposed to have to divine the meaning that lies behind the ramblings and jottings of the writer.
- Chen, the temple's caretaker, spent months divining what images, scenes and poems should canopy worshippers.
- I hadn't correctly divined your attitude towards your tenants.
- Once this meaning or purpose has been divined, then the past, present, and future can be seen as conforming to some kind of structure or shape.
- Do Warren and Pearson suggest that lenders are clairvoyants who can divine what direction prices will take in future years?
- And from this alleged mutter, trained exegetes in the press are now divining the entire political infrastructure of the Vatican.
descubrir (con una varita de zahorí)Example sentences
- Dowsing and divining water is the subject of the club's talk today.
- Talking of which, I discovered a talent yesterday I didn't know I had… water divining!
- The only way to get a really good signal is to wander around with the antenna stretched out, as if you're divining for water.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.