Translation of division in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 uncountable and countable (distribution) the division of labor (Economics)la división del trabajoExample sentences1.2 countable (boundary) religious /linguistic/class divisions
divisiones religiosas/lingüísticas/de claseExample sentences1.3 countable (part)
- In the case of land, wealth and sovereignty, sharing can be understood best as sharing by division which involves the apportionment of goods between individuals.
- I interpret the distribution as a mutually agreeable division of the chattels in question.
- It was complicated and did not reflect the division of responsibilities between schools and LEAs.
- In just four minutes the boom, like a wall, can be raised up from a 1.8 metre deep slot at the bed of the pool, creating a solid division.
- The only division between her classroom and his is a wooden partition erected in 1930.
- Not only was it virtually naked, stripped of all lights, signs and road markings, but there was no division between road and sidewalk.
- This attractive roadside holding, of 11 elevated acres, is situated two miles from Kilmallock, is divided into three main divisions and has mains water supply.
- In each school, the children will be divided into four divisions in conformity with their age groups.
- During the 1940s, the medical parties were divided into three divisions.
- 2 uncountable (disagreement)Example sentences
- This election has uncovered a vast cultural division between Americans, but what is the cause?
- There was a real and deeply worrying possibility that it would reopen the Cold War division between East and West.
- It has created disunity and division between people.
- 3 countable (department)Example sentences
- We have started 2005 with a simpler business focused on our core lending and retail divisions.
- Many large firms organized research divisions and departments that institutionalized technological change.
- Beacon, Best Western's separate purchasing division, also operates out of the Clifton Moor headquarters.
- 4 countable (Military) 4.1 (in an army) 4.2 (of ships, planes)Example sentences
- However, brigades, divisions, corps, and armies formed only as needed in wartime and were promptly disbanded during peacetime.
- It contained eight infantry divisions, one cavalry brigade, and a tank brigade.
- Today's Army divisions are composed of brigades, not regiments.
- 5 countable (Sport) 5.1 (in boxing) 5.2 (in US: area)Example sentences5.3 (in UK: by standard) a team in the first division
un equipo de primera divisiónExample sentences
- The city's six police divisions will be merged into four in a move that will see management and administration cuts while support staff will help police officers with paperwork, giving them more time on the beat.
- Currently 12 of the 16 police divisions in the city offer programs similar to Community Alert and Auto-dialler.
- Sources say that in city divisions such as Howdenhall, which covers a large part of south Edinburgh, there can be as few as four beat officers available on day and night shifts.
- Jefferson, 27, currently ranks second in the U.S. at 73 kg, one of the most competitive weight divisions in judo.
- Things will even out now that teams are playing more teams outside of their divisions, and the preseason expectations will look more viable.
- By the end of the decade the league had eight teams in two divisions and all teams played a 72-game schedule.
- 6 uncountable and countable (Mathematics)Example sentences
- The work contains 11 chapters, one each on topics such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, square roots and cube roots.
- Topics considered include addition and subtraction of decimal numbers followed by multiplication and division of decimal numbers.
- There I learned addition, multiplication, division and subtraction, mostly from several private tutors.
- I found it perfectly reasonable that division by a fraction should equal multiplication by its reciprocal.
- The rules for multiplication and division of a matrix by a scalar (a real number) are simpler.
- The former is better for addition and subtraction of vectors, but can be used for multiplication and division of vectors as well.
- 7 countable(British English) (Politics)Example sentences
- Eventually, when we got to the final vote on the third reading a division was not even called, so I did not even have to have the necessary vote.
- The Bolton West MP took part in just 29.2 per cent of divisions or votes in the last parliamentary session - placing her 13 th from bottom.
- If the Hunting Bill was so important, why did neither the Prime Minister nor the Chancellor bother to vote in most divisions?
- 8 uncountable (splitting — of particles, cells)Example sentences
- Every second millions of cells divide in our body and the process of division is called the cell cycle.
- This affects the growth, reproduction and division of cells and the communication of signals between the outside of the cell and the nucleus inside the cell.
- These cells replicate by division, do they not?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
In some Andean countries, particularly Chile, onces is a light meal eaten between five and six p.m., the equivalent of "afternoon tea" in Britain. In Colombia, on the other hand, onces is a light snack eaten between breakfast and lunch. It is also known as mediasnueves.