- (Religion)Example sentences
- Orders of monks and nuns multiplied over the years: Benedictines, Dominicans, Cistercians, Augustinians, Carmelites and others.
- Furthermore, the universities quickly became a locus of conflict between the regular clergy and the newer mendicant orders, especially the Dominicans and the Franciscans.
- Inglis emphasizes the importance of the Dominican preaching mission against Cathar dualism to Aquinas's treatment of the doctrines of creation, divine providence, and human virtue.
- (Religion) the Dominican order(la orden de) los Dominicos or los DomínicosExample sentences
- Mary Catharine is a cloistered Dominican nun of the Monastery of Our Lady of the Rosary, Summit, New Jersey.
- Bartolome de Las Casas, a Dominican missionary, and Gines de Sepulveda, the royal historian, argued for five days before Philip II.
- Another person who urged him to act publicly was the Dominican student chaplain in Berlin.
- (person from the Dominican Republic)Example sentences
- Although 93 percent of the population is Roman Catholic, many Dominicans do not attend church regularly.
- For example, the Tourism Secretariat in the Dominican Republic reported in 1985 that 20 percent of all visitors to the island from abroad were Dominicans who had previously emigrated.
- Authorities estimate 200,000 Dominicans live on the island of 4 million.
- (from the Dominican Republic)Example sentences
- In 1838 a small group of Spanish-speaking Dominican intellectuals from Santo Domingo organized a secret society called La Trinitaria to overthrow the Haitian rule.
- ‘I was astounded,’ he said from his home in the Dominican capital of Santo Domingo.
- After weeks of heavy rains, a downpour pounded the Dominican and Haitian island of Hispaniola.
- (person from Dominica)Example sentences
- Native Dominicans are now being trained as clergy, but practitioners of the formal religions, particularly Catholic priests and nuns, have generally been foreigners.
- Though the island is often referred to as ‘sleepy’, Dominicans have shown themselves to be go-getting, converting three-quarters of their production to Fair Trade.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.