Translation of double in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (twice as much)(amount/portion)a double brandy/vodka
dobleun coñac/vodka dobleshe's double your agete dobla la edadit's double thates el doble de esowe get double pay on Sundayslos domingos nos pagan el doble or nos dan paga doblea double dip (American English) [colloquial]dos bolas or un doble de heladoExample sentences1.2 (in pair)
(consonant)my number is double three seven double four eight (esp (British English) )
- They were served in generous quantity, almost double normal size.
- The bunker is the size of a double garage with 3 fences around it, a microwave intruder alarm detection system and 32 armed policemen.
- Opened flat, the double page size is 7 x 5.5 inches, quite large enough for an effective sketch should I want to get serious.
doblemi número es tres tres siete, cuatro cuatro ochoit's spelled with a double 't'se escribe con dos tesa double negative (Linguistics)una doble negacióndouble bendcurva (feminine) en S (read as: curva en ese)a double six (Games)un seis doble or un doble seisinflation reached double figures o digitsla inflación alcanzó/rebasó el 10%Example sentences1.3
(for two) (room)
- I mean, who has three sets of double letters in their name?
- People think there can't possibly be two lots of double letters in one word so they often drop one set.
- Moreover, the double letter ‘a’ is atypical in the German language.
de dos plazas (Latin America)Example sentences1.4 (folded) to fold something double
doblar algo por la mitadhe was bent double with the painse retorcía del dolorExample sentences
- I've got a caravan to myself with quite a bit of room - sofa, double bed, etc - a few yards from the main farm house.
- Kane now sleeps on the living room sofa as Ikolo and her baby share the double bed in her room.
- £235,000 buys you a 99-year lease on a small serviced room with a double bed, en-suite shower and all mod cons.
- Reinforcing this effect are a series of terraces leading invitingly from formal and casual living areas through sets of double doors to the home paddock and bush beyond.
- Because of the large double doors it lends itself to easy access for deliveries with ample parking to the front and side of the building.
- There was a mesh grille behind the double doors, and I wondered if anyone else was there.
- 1 (twice as much)(pay/earn/cost)she spends double what she earns
el doblegasta el doble de lo que ganaI pay double the rent I did last yearpago el doble de alquiler que el año pasadodouble 7 is 14el doble de 7 es 14Example sentences
- In fact we are double daft because we've just held two little soirées - one for family and one for colleagues and friends.
- It's three against three and my vote counts double.
- Away goals do not count double in Fifa's rulebook.
- 1 1.1 (hotel room)Example sentences1.2 (of spirits)
medida (feminine) dobleExample sentences
- Otherwise, ask for a standard double with a sea view: the moody purples and glowing oranges at dusk and dawn are quite spectacular.
- The offer entitles readers to a complimentary upgrade of room, from a standard double to a Hallmark / Delux room.
- For a good quality pocket-sprung mattress, expect to pay from £875 for a standard double at Vi-Spring.
- Last night Wetherspoon spokesman Eddie Gershon admitted that offering doubles rather than singles was standard practice in all the company's pubs.
- Another gin and tonic, honey - better make it a double.
- Many pubs now serve doubles as standard.
- 2 (lookalike)Example sentences
- Was this the real man or a double?
- Spark's friend, Nita McEwen, physically almost her double, was shot dead by Nita's husband in a hotel where Spark was staying.
- This is too unlikely a similarity to be mere coincidence, and it produces the eerie suspicion/sensation that the women are doubles of one another.
- 3 3.1 (in bridge, dice, dominoes, darts) to throw a doublesacar un dobleExample sentences
Example sentences3.2 (in billiards) 3.3 (Sport) (double win) 3.4 (in gambling) double or nothing o (British English) quits
- Doubles of declarer are ringed, to make it easier to ensure that each player makes her compulsory two doubles of declarer.
- The declarer must hold at least 4 doubles to announce Plunge.
- If someone then bids higher, any previous doubles and redoubles are cancelled.
(el) doble o nada
- A player must hit his double to become a killer and can then start the business of taking lives from other players by scoring in their double.
- Not only this, but, fortified by the fact that I had drunk his lager by mistake, Ken managed to hit the winning double in the second leg of the last match.
- 4 (two victories) (Sport)the doubleel dobleteExample sentences
- Dorset county player Carly Cummins has completed an international double with a comfortable victory in the Spanish sunshine.
- LEIGH RMI youth team completed a unique double by winning the NW Youth Alliance league and cup.
- Bilton remain on course for the double after Saturday's victory over Kirkstall kept them nine points clear at the top.
- Though not as comprehensive as their win early in the season, Holme Wood Athletic completed a double over Oakenshaw.
- Salford seek a double over the Tigers and after wins against Warrington and Huddersfield, a third Super League victory in a row.
- 1 1.1 (increase twofold)(efforts)I'd double the amount of sugar
redoblaryo le pondría el doble de azúcarI'll double that offeryo ofrezco el dobleExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (Games)
- Back in July, IFG said its profit was set to double by 2007.
- This personal touch has paid off handsomely for the bank with profits more than doubling in the past three years to €504m.
- Not only has supply more than doubled, but twice as much oil and four times as much gas has been added to reserves.
- Using cannabis once or twice a week almost doubles the risk of suffering psychotic symptoms in later life, researchers said yesterday.
- Even if merchandising income were to double the star's revenues, at current levels the company stands to take back around half what they have paid out.
- She also kept her composure out on the course, more than doubling her overnight three stroke lead with a near faultless two under par 71, which included only one bogey as well as three birdies.
- 2 (fold)(paper/cloth)
doblar por la mitad(fist) (American English)
- By definition, a pleat is a fold in cloth made by doubling the material upon itself and then pressing or stitching it into place.
- The bandage was a torn piece of cloth and had been doubled over to make it thick enough.
- I doubled my fist, and punched him in the stomach.
- I looked at him, shocked and angry at his ungrateful outburst, then doubled my fist.
- Rob stood, doubled up both fists, and struck the giant in the neck.
- 3 (Cinema, Theater)she doubles the parts of maid and princessinterpreta dos papeles: el de criada y el de princesaExample sentences
- It wasn't like playing two different characters at all, but doubling the same one.
- 4 (sail around)(headland/cape)
- 2 (have dual role) the table doubles as a deskla mesa también se usa como escritoriosomebody doubled for him in the dangerous scenesalguien lo doblaba en las escenas peligrosasthe clarinetist doubles on saxophoneel clarinetista también toca el saxofón
- (person) → double up 1
- 1 (bend, fold up)
(person/vehicle/animal)the path doubled back on itself
volver sobre sus pasos
volver sobre sus pasos
el camino doblaba sobre sí mismo
(person)to double up with laughter
doblarse en dos
doblarse en dos
morirse or desternillarse de risa2 (share)
compartir la habitación ( or cama etc)3 (redouble) (American English)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.