- 1 countable 1.1 (tool)also: electric drill, power drillalso: hand drillExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (Mech, Mining) 1.3 (drill head)
- Most of the project requires basic wood-working tools - a circular saw, a saber saw, an electric drill, a hammer, and a nail set.
- The clatter of hammers, drills and sanders drown out the voices of the workers.
- It's funny, my grandfather's tools were objects that have been around in one form or another for hundreds if not thousands of years, like hammers, drills, screwdrivers and nails.
- Your dentist will remove any decay or old filling from the tooth with a drill.
- Some of the surrounding bone can then be removed with a drill to lift the tooth out in one piece.
- Laser technology, too, is developing and in time may replace the drill in restorative dentistry.
- 2 2.1 uncountable (Military)Example sentences2.2 countable (Sch) spelling drills
ejercicios de ortografíaExample sentences2.3 uncountable and countable (rehearsal) fire drill 2.4 uncountable (correct procedure) (British English) [colloquial]what's the drill?
- The perfection of the troops' training was revealed when a display of parade-ground drill helped to extricate the army from a trap in the Balkan mountains.
- Training of farmer militiamen involved mainly military drill and volley fire, often on the village green or nearby field.
- Military drill and discipline, as well as seamanship are still part of the book.
¿qué se hace?I don't know the drill for making a claimno sé qué se hace or qué hay que hacer para presentar una reclamación
- The basketball coach or the music teacher needs no convincing regarding the value of drill and practice on fundamental skills.
- Thus, problem solving and analysis replace drill and practice, and calculators replace paper-and-pencil computation.
- After two hours of repeating the same drill over and over again, it was time for riding.
- 3 uncountable (fabric)Example sentences
- Cargo pants are available in all kinds of fabrics, from cotton drill to pale pink satin, and, frankly, they're none the better for it.
- Virtually every book published is a library-bound hard cover edition, side-sewen and reinforced with cotton drill.
- The bags are made of heavy cotton drill and have a top cover that's easily removable for washing.
- 1 1.1Example sentences1.2
Example sentences1.3 (Dentistry)
- His feet covered with mud, he smoothes the sides of the wall and uses a stick to drill holes through the top, pushing the straw within the mixture through to the layers underneath.
- A private concrete boring firm was brought in and they drilled a hole big enough for the child to crawl out.
- Divers descended into the water yesterday in a special bell supplied by the Norwegian diving support ship Mayo and began work to mark sections of the hull where holes will be drilled to attach cables to lift the vessel.
- Drilling can be done with many of the same tools you use for drilling wood or metal, including twist drills, brad point drill bits, spade bits or a hole saw with a pilot bit.
- Remove the bracket, drill the wall as necessary and fix the bracket in position using the appropriate wall plugs and screws.
- Once I'd marked and drilled the wood I realised that they weren't screws, they were bolts.
trabajar or limpiar con la fresaExample sentences
- But next time your dentist needs to drill your teeth are you going to decline the anaesthetic and ask for an arnica tablet instead?
- After having your teeth drilled, dentists advise their patients to wait a few hours before eating ice cream, having school photos taken, or writing screenplays.
- Would you rather have your teeth drilled by a dentist than make or follow a list?
- 2 2.1 (Military)(soldiers)
Example sentences2.2 (child/pupil)she drilled them in the use of the passive voice
- This training was underpinned by punitive disciplinary codes; troops were drilled, flogged, and caned into being more afraid of their officers than they were of the enemy.
- Thus, the soldiers were drilled and dressed for the effect that it had on them.
- For children there will be face painting, paintball and the chance to try on national service uniforms and be drilled by a humorous sergeant major re-enactor.
les hizo practicar la (voz) pasivato drill something
- I watched the Citadel guard drilling in the exercise hall.
- There are still less than 350 of us including officers and when we are not patrolling, we are drilling ceaselessly both on foot and on horse.
- Even now the Guard was drilling in the courtyard below, and a delegation of regiments from the army was due to arrive tomorrow.
intosomebodyinculcarle algoit was drilled into him that … aalguienle habían inculcado que …Example sentences
- If you take him, you had better be very confident that your coaching staff will be willing to work with the kid in practice and drill him every day.
- Young will later thank God his firearms instructors drilled him intensively in weak hand only shooting.
- He was yesterday morning spotted at the grounds drilling the team.
- 1 (Mining)perforarto drill for oil/water
hacer perforacionesperforar en busca de petróleo/aguaExample sentences
- He plans to drill for water and sell it by pipeline to the city of Dallas.
- He added that the site, off Wheatley Hall Road, had been deemed a site of scientific interest, therefore any plans to drill for gas would be contrary to the Doncaster unitary development plan.
- Ranchers and environmentalists are again coming together to fight a proposal to drill for oil and gas in southern Alberta, this time near the protected Whaleback region.
- 1 (furrow)Example sentences
- Select an easy-to-grow variety, such as ‘Joi Choi’, and sow the seeds in ½ in-deep drills.
- Choose a sheltered, sunny spot with a fertile, well-drained soil and sow the seeds in 1in-deep drills.
- Parsnips are not available as seedlings in garden centres, so sow seeds directly into drills in the garden bed according to the instructions on the packet.
- 2 (machine)sembradora (feminine)Example sentences
- The seed can be broadcast and harrowed, lightly disked, or seeded with a grain drill.
- You might also consider getting a no-till drill and direct seeding the hay into the field.
- Seeding with a disc drill in a loose seedbed almost guarantees disaster and should probably be delayed until there is moisture.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.