- 1 countable(female)a dead duckto play ducks and drakesun asunto acabadoto play ducks and drakes with somethinghacer cabrillas or (Southern Cone) (Mexico) patitos or (Colombia) pan y quesito (en el agua)to take to something like a duck to waterhe took to skiing like a duck to watertirar algo por la ventanaempezó a esquiar como si lo hubiera hecho toda la vidaExample sentences
- The other day while walking along the footpath opposite the park I noticed seven or eight drakes surrounding a female duck and her ten ducklings.
- The female shows the same silhouette but is a brown duck whose crest is often obscured.
- 2 uncountable (Cookery)Example sentences
- From a nutritional perspective, the duck, cucumber, spring onion and pancakes make a reasonably well-balanced meal.
- In a heavy, flameproof casserole, cook the sausages and duck in the olive oil until their fat runs and the sausages and duck are golden on all sides.
- Cook the duck until tender, then add the potatoes and onion.
- 1 (lower)Example sentences
- Droplets of rain had already fallen, and he quickly ducked into his car to avoid being drenched by the rain.
- He quickly ducked into the building and ran for the nearest lift.
- Avoiding the rain he ducked into a nearby building and fled downstairs to take a covered shortcut to his work area.
- 3 (dodge)Example sentences
- Cyrus ducked the blow and landed another punch to James' stomach, knocking the wind from him and sending him to the ground again.
- He ducked the blow and countered it, his own fist connecting with my jaw and his knee finding its way to my stomach.
- But he ducked the blow and darted his head back up colliding with Kung's chin.
- Whatever else that is, it's hardly ducking responsibility.
- Is the closure of Internet chat rooms more about ducking responsibility than child safety?
- And none of this is meant to suggest that the editorial page editor can use the policy to duck responsibility for inaccuracies on the page.
- 1 uncountable (fabric)Example sentences
- If stripes aren't your style, experiment with other casual fabrics, such as cotton duck, denim, and corduroy.
- Cut the diaper cover pieces from the yellow cotton duck or broadcloth according to the pattern guidesheet.
- I am interested in dyeing 35 yards of cotton duck for slipcovers for a sofa.
- (in cricket) to be out for a duckser eliminado sin marcar ningún tantoExample sentences
- Stillington made major inroads into Harrogate's batting as they dismissed three home batsmen for ducks.
- I remember that Gundappa Viswanath scored a duck and a century on his Test debut - has anyone else done this?
- Laker's tally of eight ducks inflicted in that famous match against Australia at Old Trafford in 1956 is the record for a single Test.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to