- 1 countable(female) pata (feminine)a dead duckun asunto acabadoto play ducks and drakeshacer patitos (Southern Cone) (Mexico)hacer pan y quesito (en el agua) (Colombia)to play ducks and drakes with somethingtirar algo por la ventanato take to something like a duck to waterhe took to skiing like a duck to waterempezó a esquiar como si lo hubiera hecho toda la vidaExample sentences
- The other day while walking along the footpath opposite the park I noticed seven or eight drakes surrounding a female duck and her ten ducklings.
- The female shows the same silhouette but is a brown duck whose crest is often obscured.
- 2 uncountable (Cooking)Example sentences
- From a nutritional perspective, the duck, cucumber, spring onion and pancakes make a reasonably well-balanced meal.
- In a heavy, flameproof casserole, cook the sausages and duck in the olive oil until their fat runs and the sausages and duck are golden on all sides.
- Cook the duck until tender, then add the potatoes and onion.
- (bow down)agacharse(hide) esconderseI ducked behind a pillarme escondí rápidamente detrás de una columnaExample sentences
- Droplets of rain had already fallen, and he quickly ducked into his car to avoid being drenched by the rain.
- He quickly ducked into the building and ran for the nearest lift.
- Avoiding the rain he ducked into a nearby building and fled downstairs to take a covered shortcut to his work area.
- 3 (dodge)Example sentences
- Cyrus ducked the blow and landed another punch to James' stomach, knocking the wind from him and sending him to the ground again.
- He ducked the blow and countered it, his own fist connecting with my jaw and his knee finding its way to my stomach.
- But he ducked the blow and darted his head back up colliding with Kung's chin.
- Whatever else that is, it's hardly ducking responsibility.
- Is the closure of Internet chat rooms more about ducking responsibility than child safety?
- And none of this is meant to suggest that the editorial page editor can use the policy to duck responsibility for inaccuracies on the page.
- 1 uncountable (fabric)Example sentences
- If stripes aren't your style, experiment with other casual fabrics, such as cotton duck, denim, and corduroy.
- Cut the diaper cover pieces from the yellow cotton duck or broadcloth according to the pattern guidesheet.
- I am interested in dyeing 35 yards of cotton duck for slipcovers for a sofa.
- (in cricket) to be out for a duckser eliminado sin marcar ningún tantoExample sentences
- Stillington made major inroads into Harrogate's batting as they dismissed three home batsmen for ducks.
- I remember that Gundappa Viswanath scored a duck and a century on his Test debut - has anyone else done this?
- Laker's tally of eight ducks inflicted in that famous match against Australia at Old Trafford in 1956 is the record for a single Test.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.