- (British English) [colloquial]Example sentences
- There isn't a duff track, and while those lyrics are often too clever for their own good, the accompanying tunes usually make up for that.
- Gradually she realised that, in the scale of things, picking a duff outfit wasn't so terrible.
- Although deep down we all know that rugby, like football, is just a game, it's still a form of entertainment and if your favourite rock group starts playing duff songs you stop going.
- You see a note on one of the five lines, forget the key signature at the beginning of the line, play it standard rather than as a sharp and end up with one of those horrible duff notes that means you have to stop playing and start from scratch.
- He never hit a duff note, running through Road To Mandalay, Eternity, She's The One and Millennium.
- I was thoroughly captivated by the piano concerto, even though I am sure I heard a couple of duff notes.
- (American English) [slang]get off your duff and do some workExample sentences
- A lifetime of sitting on my duff in front of a computer while wolfing down fast food and snacks fried in lesser snacks has made me too weak and lazy to get up and start any sort of effective protest or take any productive action.
- Another two employees were sitting on their duffs on chairs, also doing nothing, though they were apparently stationed where they were stationed for a reason.
- In other words, instead of focusing on the obvious and most media-friendly candidates, let's get off our duffs and not become the branding arm for celebrities, whether journalists or not.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Today is Aberri Eguna, Basque national day, and a public holiday in the Basque country of Spain.