Translation of duty in Spanish:
noun plural duties
- 1 countable or uncountable (obligation) to do one's duty (by somebody)cumplir con su ( or mi etc) deber or obligación (para con alguien)it is the duty of every citizen to votevotar es el deber or la obligación de todo ciudadanohe did it out of a sense of dutylo hizo porque le parecía que era su debershe made it her duty to …se impuso la obligación de …I have a duty to keep my partners informedes mi obligación or mi deber mantener informados a mis socios(before noun) duty call o visitExample sentences
- It's to do my duty as a physician, and they often have disagreeable outcomes when you do your duty, and this is one very disagreeable outcome.
- To the last minute of my holding the presidency, I will responsibly do my duty.
- They have to do their duty and their responsibility.
- 2 uncountable 2.1 (service) a spell of duty abroaduna temporada de servicio en el extranjeroto do night dutyhacer el turno nocturnoto do duty as something 2.2 (in phrases) off dutyto come/go off dutyacabar el turno or la guardiato be off duty (nurse/doctor)no estar de turno or guardia(policeman/fireman)on dutyto come/go on duty
no estar de servicioempezar el turno or la guardiahe's on duty all morning (nurse/doctor)está de turno or de guardia toda la mañana(policeman/fireman)(before noun) duty chemist (British English)
está de servicio toda la mañanafarmacia (feminine) de guardia or de turnoduty rosterlista (feminine) de guardiasduty solicitor (British English) 2.3also: duties plural(responsibilities) [formal]funciones (feminine plural)when do you take up your duties?
responsabilidades (feminine plural)¿cuándo asume usted sus funciones?to neglect one's dutiesdescuidar sus ( or mis etc) responsabilidadesExample sentences
- How do you know the staff who arrive at camp are qualified to perform the duties you are requiring of them?
- Boys and girls were trained for the separate duties and tasks required in the gendered world of their day.
- Officers chosen to conduct the battalion's tactical planning need to have the proper training and experience in order to perform their required duties.
- As much as $10,000 of the budgets could be used to help the church pay for pastoral duties during its pastor's absence.
- For now, she continues with her ministerial duties, serving the church she sees as part of her family.
- It is not uncommon for a minister to drive 6-10,000 miles per year in carrying out the ministerial duties for a congregation.
- The primary service was military duty as a mounted knight.
- Why should ordinary Koreans pay taxes for those shirkers who educate their children abroad and avoid military service duties?
- The other recurring problem is the avoidance of military service by privileged youth during peacetime and combat duty during wars.
- 3 countable or uncountable (tax) (often plural) to pay duty on somethingpagar impuestos sobre algoexcise dutiesimpuestos (masculine plural) internos or al consumoExample sentences
- These include priority treatment in obtaining basic infrastructure services and significant reductions in national and local income taxes, land fees, and import and export duties.
- Getting the manufacturing association to back a duty on low-priced Chinese imports was a victory for small manufacturers.
- Many governments put tariffs on the import of goods, whether stated as an import duty or a sales tax only on imported goods.
- Strip the Church of its tax exemption and levy huge duties against its property value.
- We have a budget lower than ten years ago, with the Government continuing to impose additional duties and not properly finance them.
- Licence duties tend to have very small disincentive effects on car ownership due to their relatively low level (they are primarily put in place by governments to raise revenue).
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.