- 1 (Anatomy) (organ)(outer part) oreja (feminine)he has big earstiene orejas grandesthe inner/middle/outer earel oído interno/medio/externoear, nose and throat departmentel departamento de otorrinolaringología or de oído, nariz y gargantato grin from ear to earsonreír de oreja a orejato listen with a sympathetic earescuchar con actitud comprensivato listen with half an earescuchar a mediasher ears must be burningle deben estar ardiendo las orejas or zumbando los oídosto be all ears to bend somebody's ear [colloquial]darle la lata a alguien [colloquial]to be out on one's ear [colloquial]you'll be out on your earte van a poner de patitas en la calle [colloquial]to be up to one's ears in debt/trouble/workestar hasta aquí or hasta las orejas de deudas/problemas/trabajoto be wet behind the earsestar verdeto come to somebody's ears
no tener experienciallegar a oídos de alguiento fall down about or around one's earsthe house is falling down around our earsla casa se nos está viniendo abajo or cayendo a pedazosit brought their dreams crashing down about their earsechó por tierra sus ilusionesto fall on deaf earscaer en oídos sordosto give somebody a thick ear [colloquial]darle una torta or un moquete a alguien [colloquial]to go in one ear and out the other [colloquial]I've told her a thousand times, but it just goes in one ear and out the otherse lo he dicho mil veces, pero le entra por un oído y le sale por el otroto have/keep one's ear to the groundmantenerse atentoto have somebody's eargozar de la confianza de alguiento lend an ear to somebodyprestarle atención a alguiento pin back one's earsnow pin back your ears [colloquial]escuchen bienparen la oreja (Latin America) [colloquial]I'll pin back his ears for him! (US) [colloquial]le voy a dar un buen tirón de orejas [colloquial]see→ pin backto prick up one's ears (person)parar la(s) oreja(s) (Latin America) [colloquial](lit) (dog/horse)to set somebody by the earsthe will set the whole family by the ears
levantar or (Latin America) parar las orejasel testamento sembró la discordia entre or enemistó a los miembros de la familiato set something on its ear (US)causar revuelo en algoto turn a deaf ear to somebody/something
revolucionar algohacer oídos sordos a alguien/algoExample sentences
- If the growth is large, then it may have caused more damage and this sometimes leads to some loss of hearing in the affected ear.
- Surgeons are sometimes able to preserve some hearing in the ear being operated on, but this is rare.
- The balancing mechanism in the ear can be tested in various ways using vestibulometric tests.
- They have a tragus, which can be folded back to seal the opening of the ear when the animal digs.
- In many ways, the cetacean ear is radically different from the ear of terrestrial mammals.
- Then she would have leaned over and stroked the mare's neck whispering sweet nothings in her ear as the animal pranced.
- 2 (sense of hearing) pleasing to the ear to have a good ear for music/languagestener oído para la música/los idiomasto play an instrument/a piece by eartocar un instrumento/una pieza de oídoto play it by earwhat are you going to say? — I don't know, I'll just have to play it by ear¿qué vas a decir? — no sé, ya veré llegado el momento or sobre la marchaExample sentences
- But with near sensory overload of sound, music and colour, not having an ear for the Danish language didn't matter.
- In fact, it sounded so good that it seemed as though someone with an ear for classical music was at the helm of this company and so we decided to investigate.
- He was also a magnificent writer with an ear for language and a wonderful imagination, and a fine poet to boot.
- (of corn)Example sentences
- Plants were allowed to open-pollinate and all measurements were taken on plants with a fertilized ear.
- Measurements were conducted at 20°C at the second leaf of seedlings and at 25°C at the second leaf above the ear during flowering.
- It is most noticeable as grayish black galls on the ear of the plant.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.