Translation of earn in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 1.1 [money/wages] ganar you earn very good money working on an oil rig se gana mucho dinero trabajando en una plataforma petrolífera earning capacity o power potencial (masculine) de ingresosExample sentences1.2 [interest] dar*, devengar* [formal]
- He earns his living as a British Telecom engineer.
- It is not only how he gets his pleasure but also how he earns his living.
- She earns her living solely from painting, and her work hangs in important private and corporate collections in Trinidad and Jamaica.
- The fund earns capital gains and losses from shares and not fixed interest.
- It is a performance bond deposit that earns interest because it is usually held in the form of short-term Treasury bills.
- Instead of having a current account that earns no interest, and a mortgage account on which you pay interest, the First Active Current Account Mortgage combines the two.
- 2 [respect/gratitude] ganarse you've earned a rest te has ganado un descanso his conduct has earned him the disapproval of his colleagues su conducta le ha valido or con su conducta se ha ganado la desaprobación de sus colegas he earned a degree in mechanical engineering (American English/inglés norteamericano) se licenció en ingeniería mecánicaExample sentences
- He deservedly earned the tremendous esteem and the great regard of all with whom he came in contact with.
- This is the biggest break to come along for The Hooks so far in their career, but they fully deserved and earned it.
- Well done John and congratulations and best wishes to all who so deservedly earned their award.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- (especially British English/especialmente inglés británico) trabajar, ganar dinero
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The name of Spain's state-run post office is correos. Stamps can be bought in an