Translation of earth in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable 1.1 (Astronomy, Religion) the earth o Earth I'd follow you to the ends of the earthte seguiría hasta el fin del mundo or [literary] los confines de la tierranothing on earth would make me do itno lo haría por nada del mundoyou look like nothing on earth with that new hairdo [colloquial]ese peinado te queda espantosoto cost the earth (British English) [colloquial]costar un ojo de la cara [colloquial]to promise the earthExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (as intensifier) why on earth didn't you warn me?
- This is because Venus and the Earth orbit the Sun at a slight angle to each other.
- At the side of the Earth nearest the Moon the oceans bulge upwards due to its pull.
- It seems that several of the earlier philosophers had concluded that the Earth is a globe.
¿por qué diablos or demonios no me avisaste?who on earth would come visiting at this time?¿a quién puede ocurrírsele venir de visita a estas horas?
- A new heaven and a new earth will replace the world as we know it today.
- God's reign is already present on our earth in mystery.
- The emphasis that there are heaven and earth founds a distinction between the accessible earth and a transcendent realm that is yet part of the creation.
- 2 uncountable 2.1 (land, the ground) earth, sea and sky to fall to earthcaer a tierrato bring somebody (back) down to earthhacer bajar de las nubes a alguiento come down to earthbajar de las nubes
poner los pies sobre la tierraExample sentences
Example sentences2.2 (soil)
- The earth plummeted into what appeared to be a succession of bottomless valleys, first on our left, then our right, as we meandered ever upwards.
- As the fat, large drops fell from the heavens and hit the parched earth, the land that had once been in a drought rejoiced, and the angels were glad.
- The fog, a misty white at the very base of the mountain, where trees still grew, gave way to earth and, as earth gave way to sky, sky gave way to storm clouds.
(before noun) (floor/wall)
- In this case a motorcyclist was injured in a collision at a junction where visibility was restricted by a bank of earth on land owned by British Rail.
- Veil desperately tried to leap out, but a big clod of earth landed on his head.
- Made of rammed earth - the soil excavated from the site - the wall alleviated the need to buy soil or use wood to fence the property.
- 3 uncountable(British English) (Electricity)the machine needs an earth
tierra (feminine)la máquina necesita una toma de tierra(before noun) (cable/wire/terminal)
(de toma) de tierra
a tierra (Latin America)Example sentences
- It is possible to stop a radio signal leaking into the ground via its earth cable by carefully choosing the height at which the antenna is mounted.
- It has exposed mains voltage solder points on top, no earth connection and one very flimsy and very dull aluminium end.
- Older electrical systems in council flats don't have earth wires.
- 4 countable (burrow, hole) to go to earth (person)esconderse(fox)to run somebody/something to earth
meterse en la madrigueradar con alguien/algoExample sentences
- Many hunts take steps the night before, or early on the day of the hunt, to block up the entrances to earths, badger setts and artificial places such as drains.
- Foxhunters block up earths and badger setts the night before the hunt to ensure that foxes are forced to run until exhausted.
- The night before the hunt, foxhunters cover up any earths and badger setts to make sure that the foxes have to run until exhausted.
- (British English) (Electricity)the appliance must be earthed
conectar a tierrael aparato debe estar conectado a tierra or (in Latin America also) debe hacer tierraExample sentences
- When plugged in, the pump is earthed and I have a little more piece of mind!
- It was only because the bottom of the sheet stuck in the ground and was earthed that James survived.
- They are not able to be earthed, filtered, or shielded electrically.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.