- 1 [meal/vegetables] comer I don't eat meat no como carne I won't eat you! [colloquial/familiar] ¡no te voy a comer! she ate her way through the whole cake acabó con or se comió todo el pastel to eat humble pie o eat dirt o (American English/inglés norteamericano) crow morder* el polvo [colloquial/familiar], tragarse* el orgullo to eat sb alive comerse vivo a algnMore example sentences
- Mary smiled at him before eating her cereal, chewing happily.
- I forgot to wipe my mouth after eating the chocolate cake my mom baked.
- She quickly ate the burger and swallowed some of the fries whole.
- comer to eat in/out comer en casa/(a)fuera we usually eat at 7 o'clock solemos cenar a las siete we ate off plastic plates comimos en platos de plástico to eat Chinese/Greek comer comida china/griega eat, drink and be merry (for tomorrow we die) a beber y a tragar (que el mundo se va a acabar)
eat awayverb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object/verbo + complemento + adverbio, verbo + adverbio + complemento
eat away atverb + adverb + preposition + object/verbo + adverbio + preposición + complemento
eat intoverb + preposition + object/verbo + preposición + complemento
- verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object/verbo + complemento + adverbio, verbo + adverbio + complemento (finish) [meal/food] comerse eat it all up now! ¡cómetelo todo! she was eating him up with her eyes se lo comía con los ojos 1.1verb + adverb/verbo + adverbio (finish meal) terminar (de comer) 1.2verb + adverb + object/verbo + adverbio + complemento (consume) [fuel/electricity] consumir, gastar these big cars really eat up gas estos coches grandes sí que tragan gasolina [colloquial/familiar] 1.3verb + object + adverb/verbo + complemento + adverbio (consume) [curiosity/ambition] consumir she's eaten up with envy la envidia la carcome, la consume la envidia jealousy is eating him up lo consumen or [colloquial/familiar] se lo comen los celos
Browse other language resources
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Cultural fact of the day
Today is a public holiday in Chile (Día de la Independencia)