Translation of eat in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 [meal/vegetables] comer I don't eat meat no como carne I won't eat you! [colloquial/familiar] ¡no te voy a comer! she ate her way through the whole cake acabó con or se comió todo el pastel to eat humble pie o eat dirt o (American English/inglés norteamericano) crow morder* el polvo [colloquial/familiar], tragarse* el orgullo to eat sb alive comerse vivo a algnExample sentences
- Mary smiled at him before eating her cereal, chewing happily.
- I forgot to wipe my mouth after eating the chocolate cake my mom baked.
- She quickly ate the burger and swallowed some of the fries whole.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- comer to eat in/out comer en casa/(a)fuera we usually eat at 7 o'clock solemos cenar a las siete we ate off plastic plates comimos en platos de plástico to eat Chinese/Greek comer comida china/griega eat, drink and be merry (for tomorrow we die) a beber y a tragar (que el mundo se va a acabar)
eat awayverb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object/verbo + complemento + adverbio, verbo + adverbio + complemento 1.1 [rats/mice] roer*; [moths] picar*, comerse the termites gradually eat away the inside of the tree las termitas carcomen poco a poco el interior del árbol 1.2 [acid] corroer* 1.3 [waves] desgastar
eat away atverb + adverb + preposition + object/verbo + adverbio + preposición + complemento 1.1 [rats/mice] roer*; [moths] picar*, comerse inflation is eating away at business confidence/at people's savings la inflación está minando la confianza de los empresarios/se está comiendo los ahorros de la gente 1.2 [acid] corroer* 1.3 [sea] desgastar
eat intoverb + preposition + object/verbo + preposición + complemento 1.1 [acid/rust] corroer* 1.2 [profits/savings] comerse
eat up verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object/verbo + complemento + adverbio, verbo + adverbio + complemento (finish) [meal/food] comerse eat it all up now! ¡cómetelo todo! she was eating him up with her eyes se lo comía con los ojos 1.1verb + adverb/verbo + adverbio (finish meal) terminar (de comer) 1.2verb + adverb + object/verbo + adverbio + complemento (consume) [fuel/electricity] consumir, gastar these big cars really eat up gas estos coches grandes sí que tragan gasolina [colloquial/familiar] 1.3verb + object + adverb/verbo + complemento + adverbio (consume) [curiosity/ambition] consumir she's eaten up with envy la envidia la carcome, la consume la envidia jealousy is eating him up lo consumen or [colloquial/familiar] se lo comen los celos
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Havana, Cuba has three daily newspapers. The best known is Granma(www.granma.cubaweb.cu), official newspaper of the Cuban Communist Party. Trabajadores is published by the Cuban trade union movement, and the more lively Juventud Rebelde is aimed at a younger readership.