Translation of effort in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 countable or uncountable (attempt) to make an efforthacer un esfuerzoshe made a tremendous effort to give up smoking
esforzarsehizo un gran esfuerzo or se esforzó mucho para dejar de fumarplease make an effort to get here before tenpor favor traten de or intenten llegar antes de las diezrepeated efforts were made to contact himse intentó repetidamente localizarloshe made little/no effort to hide her displeasurehizo pocos esfuerzos/no hizo ningún esfuerzo por disimular su descontentohe simply makes no effortel caso es que no se esfuerza en absolutoshe couldn't even make the effort to telephoneni siquiera se molestó en llamarExample sentences1.2 uncountable (exertion, strain) he passed his exams without any effort
aprobó sus exámenes sin ningún esfuerzo or sin esforzarsethey've put a lot of effort into ithan trabajado or se han esforzado mucho en elloit took (a) considerable effort to keep quietme resultó muy difícil callarmeit doesn't take much effort o much of an effort to say thank you
- Clean Calgary and the City of Calgary are teaming up again in an effort to reduce the amount of garbage being generated locally.
- Mr Fuller added that the school has made sacrifices in expenditure and eight staff have taken promotions with no pay rise in an effort to reduce costs.
- The warning has been made by the Royal Life Saving Society in an effort to reduce the number of drowning-deaths.
tuve que hacer un gran esfuerzo para quedarme calladano cuesta tanto decir graciasit requires an enormous effort of willexige una gran fuerza de voluntadit's an effort for me climb the stairsme cuesta mucho (esfuerzo) subir la escaleraI'd like you to help me, if it's not too much of an effort [ironic]quisiera que me ayudaras, si no es mucho pedir [ironic]it's not worth the effortno merece or vale la penaExample sentences
- He put huge physical and mental effort into achieving this goal, chasing his dream from his native Austria to London and on to California.
- In the meantime I don't really feel much like blogging - it just requires too much mental effort at the moment.
- Using a bicycle or walking is definitely an alternative, but both require physical effort.
- 2 2.1 (no plural) (campaign, operation) the war effort(campaña solidaria de la población civil durante una guerra)2.2 countable (achievement) a literary/an artistic effortuna obra or creación literaria/artísticawhat do you think of my latest effort? [colloquial]¿qué te parece mi última obra or creación?for an amateur, that's not a bad effort [colloquial]para un aficionado, no está nada mal2.3 countable or uncountable (Physics)Example sentences
- The tractive effort of the machine seems weak, especially in this deep snow that we have now.
- The speed reached by such a body depends on the ratio of the effort exerted to the resistance offered.
- The mechanical advantage, which we shall call simply the advantage, is the ratio of the load to the effort.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.