Translation of effort in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 countable or uncountable (attempt) to make an effortshe made a tremendous effort to give up smokinghacer un esfuerzoesforzarseplease make an effort to get here before tenhizo un gran esfuerzo or se esforzó mucho para dejar de fumarrepeated efforts were made to contact himpor favor traten de or intenten llegar antes de las diezshe made little/no effort to hide her displeasurese intentó repetidamente localizarlohe simply makes no efforthizo pocos esfuerzos/no hizo ningún esfuerzo por disimular su descontentoshe couldn't even make the effort to telephoneel caso es que no se esfuerza en absolutoni siquiera se molestó en llamarExample sentences1.2 uncountable (exertion, strain) he passed his exams without any effort
they've put a lot of effort into itaprobó sus exámenes sin ningún esfuerzo or sin esforzarseit took (a) considerable effort to keep quiethan trabajado or se han esforzado mucho en elloit doesn't take much effort o much of an effort to say thank youme resultó muy difícil callarmetuve que hacer un gran esfuerzo para quedarme calladait requires an enormous effort of willno cuesta tanto decir graciasit's an effort for me climb the stairsexige una gran fuerza de voluntadI'd like you to help me, if it's not too much of an effort [ironic]me cuesta mucho (esfuerzo) subir la escalerait's not worth the effortquisiera que me ayudaras, si no es mucho pedir [irónico]no merece or vale la penaExample sentences
- Clean Calgary and the City of Calgary are teaming up again in an effort to reduce the amount of garbage being generated locally.
- Mr Fuller added that the school has made sacrifices in expenditure and eight staff have taken promotions with no pay rise in an effort to reduce costs.
- The warning has been made by the Royal Life Saving Society in an effort to reduce the number of drowning-deaths.
- He put huge physical and mental effort into achieving this goal, chasing his dream from his native Austria to London and on to California.
- In the meantime I don't really feel much like blogging - it just requires too much mental effort at the moment.
- Using a bicycle or walking is definitely an alternative, but both require physical effort.
- 2 2.1 (no plural) (campaign, operation) the war effort(campaña solidaria de la población civil durante una guerra)2.2 countable (achievement) See examples: a literary/an artistic effortwhat do you think of my latest effort? [colloquial]una obra or creación literaria/artísticafor an amateur, that's not a bad effort [colloquial]¿qué te parece mi última obra or creación?2.3 countable or uncountable (Physics)para un aficionado, no está nada malExample sentences
- The tractive effort of the machine seems weak, especially in this deep snow that we have now.
- The speed reached by such a body depends on the ratio of the effort exerted to the resistance offered.
- The mechanical advantage, which we shall call simply the advantage, is the ratio of the load to the effort.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In Spain, a geographical, social, and culturally homogeneous region, with a clear natural or administrative demarcation is called a comarca. Comarcas are normally smaller than