Translation of effort in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 c and u (attempt) esfuerzo (masculine) to make an effort hacer* un esfuerzo, esforzarse* she made a tremendous effort to give up smoking hizo un gran esfuerzo or se esforzó mucho para dejar de fumar please make an effort to get here before ten por favor traten de or intenten llegar antes de las diez repeated efforts were made to contact him se intentó repetidamente localizarlo she made little/no effort to hide her displeasure hizo pocos esfuerzos/no hizo ningún esfuerzo por disimular su descontento he simply makes no effort el caso es que no se esfuerza en absoluto she couldn't even make the effort to telephone ni siquiera se molestó en llamarExample sentences1.2 uncountable/no numerable (exertion, strain) esfuerzo (masculine) he passed his exams without any effort aprobó sus exámenes sin ningún esfuerzo or sin esforzarse they've put a lot of effort into it han trabajado or se han esforzado mucho en ello it took (a) considerable effort to keep quiet me resultó muy difícil callarme, tuve que hacer un gran esfuerzo para quedarme callada it doesn't take much effort o much of an effort to say thank you no cuesta tanto decir gracias it requires an enormous effort of will exige una gran fuerza de voluntad it's an effort for me climb the stairs me cuesta mucho (esfuerzo) subir la escalera I'd like you to help me, if it's not too much of an effort [ironic] quisiera que me ayudaras, si no es mucho pedir [irónico] it's not worth the effort no merece or vale la pena
- Clean Calgary and the City of Calgary are teaming up again in an effort to reduce the amount of garbage being generated locally.
- Mr Fuller added that the school has made sacrifices in expenditure and eight staff have taken promotions with no pay rise in an effort to reduce costs.
- The warning has been made by the Royal Life Saving Society in an effort to reduce the number of drowning-deaths.
- He put huge physical and mental effort into achieving this goal, chasing his dream from his native Austria to London and on to California.
- In the meantime I don't really feel much like blogging - it just requires too much mental effort at the moment.
- Using a bicycle or walking is definitely an alternative, but both require physical effort.
- 2 2.1 (no plural/sin plural) (campaign, operation) campaña (feminine) the war effort[ campaña solidaria de la población civil durante una guerra ] 2.2 countable/numerable (achievement) a literary/an artistic effort una obra or creación literaria/artística what do you think of my latest effort? [colloquial/familiar] ¿qué te parece mi última obra or creación? for an amateur, that's not a bad effort [colloquial/familiar] para un aficionado, no está nada mal 2.3 c and u [Physics/Física] esfuerzo (masculine)Example sentences
- The tractive effort of the machine seems weak, especially in this deep snow that we have now.
- The speed reached by such a body depends on the ratio of the effort exerted to the resistance offered.
- The mechanical advantage, which we shall call simply the advantage, is the ratio of the load to the effort.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
The Premios Goya del cine español is the Spanish equivalent of Oscars, awarded in January every year by the AACC (Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España). The winners receive a bust of the painter Goya.