Translation of either in Spanish:
In the usual translation of either … or, o … o, o becomes u when it precedes a word beginning with o or ho.
- either … or … you can have either tea or coffeepuedes tomar (o) té o caféhe can't speak either Spanish or Italianno sabe hablar (ni) español ni italianoshe's either incredibly naive or very stupido (bien) es increíblemente ingenua o es estúpidaeither your work improves or you're fired!¡o mejora tu trabajo o estás despedido!Example sentences
- You don't need to be a genius to work out the similarities either.
- I don't believe that the Reserve Bank believes that there is a strong link either.
- Needless to say I won't be writing to them for permission to use these links either.
- 1.1 (one or the other) you can take either routepuedes tomar cualquiera de las dos rutasthe key wasn't in either drawerla llave no estaba en ninguno de los dos cajoneswe don't need either oneno necesitamos ninguno de los dos1.2 (each) on either side of the patha ambos lados or a cada lado del caminoI have nothing in either boxno tengo nada en ninguna de las dos cajas
- (especially British English)
ninguno, (-na)(in questions)either (one) would be suitable
alguno, (-na)cualquiera (de los dos) serviríatake either of the two, but not bothtoma cualquiera de los dos, pero no ambosI couldn't wear either of those dressesno podría ponerme ninguno de esos vestidoshe doesn't get on with either of his parentsno se lleva bien ni con su padre ni con su madredoes o [colloquial] do either of you have children?¿alguno de ustedes (dos) tiene hijos?Example sentences
- A win would secure top spot for either of us, a loss could have seen either team drop out.
- Equal rights to custody means that a child born outside of marriage can live with either parent.
- These two groups have changed the world, but not in the way that either intended.
adverb with negative
- 1.1 she can't cook and he can't eitherella no sabe cocinar y él tampocohe's not clever but he's not stupid eitherno es inteligente, pero tampoco es tontoExample sentences1.2 (moreover, at that) they found a campsite, and not such a bad one either
encontraron un camping, y no tan malo, por ciertoand I don't have to pay a penny eithery ni siquiera tengo que pagar nadaExample sentences
- Nine out of 29 households participated in the scheme either regularly or occasionally.
- It was introduced from North America either by accident or design from Victorian times.
- Her paintings are in either bright colours or black and white.
- There is no such thing as a Great Novel, divorced from its readers, or an absolute stinker of a novel either, for that matter.
- It wasn't something that Joan could easily ignore either; no matter how hard she tried.
- Well, it does not matter any more either, apparently - we just go with those polls.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.