Translation of elect in Spanish:
- 1 (Admin, Politics) 1.1 if elected, I promise to …si salgo elegido, prometo …he was elected presidentlo eligieron or fue elegido presidenteto elect somebody
tosomethingelegir a alguien paraalgoExample sentences1.2
also: elected past participle(representative/government)
- We will also see that, by contrast, relatively few women are elected to public offices.
- He was unanimously elected to the position at the first meeting of the new board.
- Before the six months had gone by he was elected to the office of District Judge.
elegido (por el pueblo)
- 2 (choose) [formal]to elect to +
infinitiveoptarthey elected to stay in their own country por+ infinitive
infinitiveoptaron por or decidieron quedarse en su propio paísExample sentences
- While some may chose to spend that season lazing beside rivers and quaffing champagne, the more discerning amongst us elect for the greensward and the thrill of clattering wickets.
- If you like a short sortie you can choose one, on the other hand if you like a brisk climb you may elect for the Masshill climb.
- A qualifying farmer may elect for a dependent spouse to participate on the scheme.
- (after noun) the president electel presidente electo
la presidenta electaExample sentences
- Bradford's Liberal Democrat Lord Mayor elect, a member of the authority, said they wanted people to give information about suspected wrong doing.
- The meeting also confirmed deputy town mayor Cllr Claire Wright as mayor elect for the next municipal year.
- The special guest of honour for the evening was Patricia Metham, principal elect.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.