Translation of embargo in Spanish:
noun plural -goes
- 1 (trade sanctions) how effective was the embargo against these products?¿cuán efectiva fue la prohibición de importar estos productos?embargo
onsomethingembargo or prohibiciónthe arms embargo, the embargo on the sale of arms dealgoel embargo de armasa trade embargo
la prohibición de venta de armasun embargo comercialto lay o place something under an embargo, to lay o place o put an embargo on somethingimponer un embargo sobre algoto lift o raise o remove an embargoExample sentences
- The Arab states, which in 1973 imposed an embargo on oil shipments to the US, have not indicated any intention of repeating that action so far.
- The EU, under intense pressure from the US to maintain its arms trade embargo on China, told Beijing on Sunday not to expect an end to the ban before the middle of this year.
- By the time the US trade embargo on Vietnam was lifted in 1994, Coke already had a head start in developing the Vietnamese market.
- 2 (prohibition)embargo
onsomethingprohibición (feminine)to put an embargo on something dealgoprohibir algo
transitive verb -goes, -going, -goed
imponer un embargo sobreExample sentences
- The President of the United States on his sole decision deploys troops anywhere in the world, blockades and embargoes foreign countries, imposes trade tariffs, and engages in election cycle credit inflation.
- I once embargoed your own country because your Queen banned the Guild, did you know that?
- Publishers were also upset that the ruling prohibits collaborations between scientists in the US and embargoed countries.
prohibir la divulgación deExample sentences
- That is why it is embargoed for general publication until Friday.
- The abstract of his study was embargoed for publication in the United States on Monday 30 October, and the study will be published in Rheumatology later this month.
- At what point are we hurting ourselves and curtailing progress when we embargo publications in the name of security?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.